disable mp3 auto embed

disable mp3 auto embed

by Chris Kellett -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

some of our teachers add mp3 files to the forums in moodle.

moodle autoloads these as embedded audio files.  If a teacher adds 3 or 4 audio tracks then this embeds 4 media players.

we display our forums in a blog like format and I think having lots of embedded audio is causing the browser to crash.

Can I make it so that when mp3 files are added here they are automatically added as files to be downloaded?

I've thought to turn off multimedia plug in but there are other parts of the site where we'd like to use the mp3 player.

any advice here would be appreciated.

thanks

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Kellett

Re: disable mp3 auto embed

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Chris,

There are at least 3 options when you have the media embed filters turned off:
  1. Use the Atto media embed wizard to create a link only to the uploaded MP3 file.
  2. Add the MP3 file as an attachment when you create/edit the forum post. This creates a link.
  3. Manually insert the HTML5 audio embed code yourself so that the player is displayed but the MP3 file isn't downloaded until the user clicks on the play button. However, the MP3 file must be linked to/attached via Moodle's file manager in order to get a valid link and so that the MP3 file doesn't get deleted by Moodle.

Perhaps a combination of these can give you the desired results?

In reply to Matt Bury

Re: disable mp3 auto embed

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Along with what Matt mentions, if you are using Moodle 2.8, 2.9, or 3.0, you can go to the forum in question, then in it's Administration block, click on Filters and turn them on or off as needed, and it will affect ONLY that forum.