Certificates issued without meeting requirements

Certificates issued without meeting requirements

by Luc Peulen -
Number of replies: 2

Hi everyone,

I'm facing a problem with respect to the interface of Moodle and the Certificate plugin.

I have a course which features a Book, a Test and a Certificate. The Book and Test are configures such that completion is tracked. For the Book, the requirement for completion is that the book is opened/read. For the Test, I checked all options: needs to be opened, a test result needs to be obtained and a specific score is required. For the Certificate, I set it up that completeness is not tracked. For the course in general, the following options for completion are selected: the Book and the Test need to be completed, ALL need to be completed, and a course score needs to be obtained. I set it to 9,0 (which is in line with the test configuration of 90 % score which in turn is in line with 18/20 questions of 0,5 points each.

Still, certificates are issued with scores like 80 %. How is this possible?

Many thanks in advance.

Best,

Luc 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luc Peulen

Re: Certificates issued without meeting requirements

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Luc,

I think you missed an important Certificate setting called "Restrict access".   Logically I understand your confusion about course completion but Certificate does not use it this way.

What you are looking for is certificate administration>edit settings>restrict access> add restrictions> restriction set.   Your student must match the following, add (under please set) an Activity completion restriction for the book.  Add a second Grade restriction using 90% for the quiz.  Then add this set of restrictions to the certificate. 

I use a different method that the above.  I like to independently daisy chain one activity to another.   In your example: I set things up so a student can not take a quiz until they complete the book activity.  My only consideration for a certificate is that a student must score 90% on a quiz.  

My way of thinking is that you may add more books or activities.     In my world these have to be done before anyone takes a quiz.  Logically my focus is upon the conditions of taking the quiz.  I don't need to worry about the certificate settings because I know the quiz is the gate keeper.

Hope this helps,

Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

Re: Certificates issued without meeting requirements

by Luc Peulen -
Dear Chris,

Many thanks for your advice. I do understand the logic now, but I could not find the Restrict access option. Apparently, the Conditional availability setting in the site administration is standard disabled. After changing that setting, I was able to configure as you mentioned. Thanks!

Best,

Luc