Restoring backups and "overwrite course settings"

Restoring backups and "overwrite course settings"

by Daniel Neis Araujo -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hello,

in the course restore process, it is not clear which "course settings" will be overwritten by checking this checkbox.

Also, it would be nice if an user could select, at least, which "group of settings" should be overwritten, since looking at the code, this setting alone applies six groups of settings: "format", "theme", "report", "coursereport", "plagiarism" and "local".

There is some issues on tracker about this like: MDL-15659 , that seems to be the oldest (from 2008, and was mentioned in https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=76250), is about the restore process not doing some things it does nowadays, but MDL-24886 is about "remembering the old fullname of course" and has some related issues linked.  Also, in the meantime while investigating this, MDL-49545 was detected and solved.

It would be nice if someone could take a look at that =)

Kind regards,

Daniel

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Daniel Neis Araujo

Re: Restoring backups and "overwrite course settings"

by Dan Poltawski -

Thanks a lot for working on this issue Daniel and raising awareness of it, i've been discussing the same problem today. In fact was proposing to lock 'overwrite course settings' to 'On' when we were deleting course contents - but i've been convinced out of it.

I'm not very keen on adding even more settings - but part of me does wonder if she should change the default for this setting when restoring and deleting existing content to overwrite. That behaviour would seem more intuitive to me (though of course should respect permissions of ability to change course name and so on). Is there a downside to this?

In reply to Dan Poltawski

Re: Restoring backups and "overwrite course settings"

by Daniel Neis Araujo -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hello, Dan

in fact, based on some emails from some teachers, the main problem is the number of sections that in majority of times does not end in a satisfactory result.

I am also not very keen on adding more settings, but we cannot rely only on capabilities here, because the users who is restoring are also users who can change this kind of settings later, but at that point would not like to have it's format or other settings course changed, would only like to import/restore course modules and sections.

I was thinking about display/unlock those "specific" options only if user selects to "overwrite course settings", don't know if is a realy good idea.

Is there a way to lock "overwrite course settings" to off? I didn't see any capabilities or config checks around, but may be missing somethig. It would be a palliative solution, but not the best one I guess.

Kind regards,

Daniel