Quiz - cloze question all garbled up

Quiz - cloze question all garbled up

by M K -
Number of replies: 0

Hi,

I'm using cloze questions for the first time and finding it much more difficult than I expected (I'm not sure which version of Moodle I'm using - this information is not provided on the platform of my institution).

Here's what my text + code looks like:

Choose the correct option or fill in the gap with the plural:

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these {1:MULTICHOICE:%100%/tru:ðz/#Exactly! This is one of those cases where the singular noun ends in /θ/ and the plural can either be regular or the final consonant becomes voiced~%0%/tru:dz/#Uh-oh, how is th pronounced?~%0%/tru:ts/#Uh-oh, how is th pronounced?} to be self-evident, that all {1:MULTICHOICE:%100%/men/#Exactly! Not only does the spelling change into men, the pronunciation changes as well, but a full vowel is retained~/mæn/#Be careful, this is the pronunciation of the singular form man~/mən/#Be careful, this is the pronunciation in some compounds, such as postman} are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red {1:MULTICHOICE:%100%/hɪlz/#Exactly! Following /l/, the plural morpheme is realized as /z/~/hɪls/#Be careful, the realization of the plural morpheme depends on the final consonant} of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former {1:SHORTANSWER:%100%slave owners#Exactly! A compound noun is usually pluralized by adding the plural morpheme to its Head~*#Be careful,a compound noun is usually pluralized by adding the plural morpheme to its Head} (slave owner) will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an {1:MULTICHOICE:%100%oasis#Exactly!Oasis is the singular, oases is the plural~oases#Be careful: oasis is the singular, oases is the plural} of freedom and justice.
[...]
I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough {1:MULTICHOICE:%100%/'pleɪsɪz/#Exactly! If the noun ends in /s/ or /z/, the plural morpheme is realized as /ɪz/~/'pleɪsɪs/#Make sure to pay attention to final voiced consonants in Englishwill be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."
[...]
And so let freedom ring from the prodigious {1:MULTICHOICE:%100%/'hɪltɒps/#Exactly! In most cases, the plural morpheme is realized as /s/~/'hɪltɒpz/#Be careful: in most cases, the plural morpheme is realized as /s/of New Hampshire.
Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York.
Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania.
Let freedom ring from the snow-capped {1:SHORTANSWER:%100%Rockies#Exactly! Can you state the rule for the spelling change?~*#Be careful, there is a spelling change involved here} (Rocky) of Colorado.
[...]
From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

Here's an example of the credits and feedback I get:

I've gone over the code any number of times but just can't find the glitch!

Average of ratings: -