Export Calendar Produces Wrong Dates

Export Calendar Produces Wrong Dates

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I have come across an interesting problem with exporting calendar items, a desire from one of my students.  The problem is that the exported dates for most of the items is one day ahead, almost.  Quiz activities that have an end date of 11:55PM show up on the next day, at 12am.  Quiz activities that have a start and end date export/import fine.  My system, and my user's timezones are set to America/Chicago.

As I explored this problem I did come across some information about "UTC."  I wonder if Moodle's calendar export tries to convert all activities to UTC, but this puzzles me as to why quiz activities with only an end date are converted (Ch08 Problems and not Exam2).

Well, I thought that I would make this post instead of reporting this as a bug in Tracker, just to see if others are having problems.  I am attaching a graphic, and an icalexport.ics file for others to try. In this file, all homework is supposed to be due Tuesday/Thursday evenings, except for Exam2 which is due on Friday. My student is trying to import this into Outlook.  I have tried myself and have the exact same problem.  Also, when I look at the contents of the exported file, it appears that within this file, dates are incorrect (as best as I can tell.)  So the problem seems to be with Moodle's export, and has nothing to do with Outlook's import.

Attachment Export Problems.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Export Calendar Produces Wrong Dates

by Paul P. -
Very late reply, but I can confirm this in Moodle 3.1.1.  It looks like events without a duration are being exported according to the GMT instead of the local time.  For me (-5 GMT) anything after 7:01 PM is exported to the next day.  The workaround is to put a duration.
In reply to Paul P.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Thanks for your reply.  Interesting solution.  I probably should report this as a bug in Tracker, but I first wanted to give my observation some time for others to comment.  I will try to remember to put this in tracker soon.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Jürgen Kappus -

Hi Rick,

did you post it to the bug tracker? Could you provide a link - I have exactly the same problem.