Email in 2.9 - gmail - sendmail? postfix?

Email in 2.9 - gmail - sendmail? postfix?

by Daniel Tillman -
Number of replies: 0

I am the moodle admin for our school and we host our own moodle 2.9.2+ server on site. (typical LAMP stack on ubuntu 14.04 server)   My school uses gmail for all of our school email (google apps for education).    As part of our 1 to 1 push with iPads in the classroom, I was asked to set up and run a moodle server for the school.

I have our moodle server working with gmail currently, but many students are confused by the automated emails from moodle - we all know how google & moodle work together with the teacher's name showing up, but the email address being the email address set up for moodle email purposes.  I'm working hard to get the teachers to adopt moodle and to get the students comfortable with moodle, and anything I can do to limit confusion is a good thing.

I have run my own personal moodle servers for the past several years, and just trained my students to not reply, but I am no longer running the server for just my own classes.  Now I have a job in the IT department of the school and have 1200 students enrolled on the site and do not interact with most of them except in passing.

Is there a way around this issue?  If I set up sendmail or postfix on the server will that fix this problem?  I'd rather not "play around" with a live production server and have it not fix the problem.   I've never set up postfix or sendmail in the past.  I've spent hours trying to figure out if this will work or not, and haven't found anything that would indicate an answer.  If anyone knows, I'd love an answer. 

If it matters, the server is already linked in with Google Apps as all the students & faculty log in using the Oauth2 plugin and their school provided gmail accounts.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Average of ratings: -