Teaching with Moodle

Embedding Videos into Moodle 2.9.2

Picture of Dave Emsley
Embedding Videos into Moodle 2.9.2
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi There,

I want to build a course which students can access from home which includes a lot of different videos which are large in size - some up to 300Mb MP4s.

What is the best way to do this please?  At the moment I have a page which opens in a popup with the html code:

<video width="320" height="240" controls>
  <source src="URL/movie.mp4" type="video/mp4">
Your browser does not support the video tag.
</video>

Is this the best method?  Are there better methods?

Cheers

Dave

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Simon Rediss-Whitfield
Re: Embedding Videos into Moodle 2.9.2

Hi Dave, it may not be ideal for you but I use BBFlashback connect (free currently) and point them to the url

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Hi

There is lot of information scattered in forums. Right now you need to help with the Advanced forum search: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/search.php?id=5&subject=video.

If you are lucky, or stay long enough, you might witness the Video forum: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=313462.
wink

Matt Bury
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

Hi Dave,

Your embed code will work as long as all your users are using HTML5 compatible browsers. If some users are using computers with older operating systems and/or web browsers, you may want to include some Flash embed code as a fall-back.

The part that catches my attention is:

src="URL/movie.mp4"

Are you serving the videos from Moodle or are they hosted on another service/website?

The reason I ask is because serving large video files from Moodle puts a heavy load on your Moodle installation and your server may not have sufficient power to serve the videos to several users at a time. If you have access to several computers, tablets, and phones, and a fast commercial-grade internet connection (e.g. a computer lab), you can test how well the server handles it by playing back videos from Moodle on all of them at once. Start with 5 videos (you can playback more than one video from each computer/device) and gradually increase the number until your Moodle becomes unresponsive and/or drops connections.

If the number of concurrent videos you can play back from Moodle is insufficient (remember that not all your learners will be watching at the same time) then it's time to consider either "beefing up" your servers (increasing memory limits and timeout times, installing more of servers, switching to more powerful ones, or switching to cloud hosting), or hosting the videos on a dedicated video hosting platform or service.

I hope this helps smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Dave Emsley

Hi Matt,

Thanks for that.  The videos are from a separate location on the same server.  Moodle is URL/moodle and videos are URL/videos/nameofvideo.mp4

Concurrency is our main issue as we're expecting students to mostly work on it between 6pm and 8pm.  The server is hosted with 1and1 who tell me there should be no issue from the server end, however I don't want to switch to a higher package due to costs.

I'm also thinking about Vimeo and Wistia as video hosts but I don't want just anyone to have access.

Cheers

Dave

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Floyd Saner - Tail of the Dragon, U.S. 129, NC

Dave,

Vimeo and Wistia provide ways to make videos private or accessible by a particular domain (as does YouTube). They do not have to be public.  I always recommend an external video hosting site.

Floyd

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Dave Emsley

We've gone for Wistia.  Thanks everyone who responded.

Cheers

Dave

Underdog

Hi Dave,

I'm dragging up this old post as I was searching for some advice on using Wistia.  Is that still working out ok for you?

How did you embed the video on Moodle and are there any other settings in Moodle or Wistia I need to be mindful of?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers smile

Matt Bury

Hi Dave,

Using Apache to serve the videos, like you're doing, is a lot more efficient than via Moodle's file management system.

As Floyd has mentioned, you can upload videos to some free hosting sites like Vimeo and Youtube and have them not appear in search results, i.e. you can only access them if you have the correct URL, but no login is necessary. Their services are about as fast and user friendly as you can get and their embed code is robust and forwardly compatible.

If you really want private video hosting, you can set it up relatively cheaply and only pay for what you use, AKA a "bucket server." This takes some technical expertise to set up but if you're not afraid to get your hands onto some code, install some plugins, etc., there's an number of tutorials on how to do this.

If you're comfortable with using SSH, have you considered switching over to a virtual private server? They've really come down in price lately and offer so many advantages over managed hosting.

Just some thoughts smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Matt

+1 for VPS. I had a VPS as a test server never required performance. Recently I did some bench marking and positively surprised. 'course Unix commands is a requirement.

About "bucket server": Could you post some pointers? My web search took me to a "Bukkit Server for Minecraft"!

Matt Bury

Hi Visvanath,

I recommend having a look on hosting infrastructure service providers' websites, e.g. https://aws.amazon.com/ and look for storage. There's usually a range of options to suit most people's needs.

In case you find yourself at media and video content delivery network (CDN) options, it's not necessary to use an expensive and complicated streaming server for video; regular "progressive download" works fine and in many cases is actually more stable and convenient for users.

Matt

Got it this time, thanks! Also happy to know that my rudimentary methods are not outdated.
wink

People often go for more "end user" solutions to make the videos not easily downloadable. With the academic content I am involved in, that is not an issue.