Bulk populate cohorts

Bulk populate cohorts

by Peter Diedrichs -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Using Moodle 2.8.7

It's seems to be possible to bulk create cohorts on category level, which means that our departments Moodle admins, added at category level, can do that by themselves.

But when it comes to populating those cohorts this still has to be done in the main user admin panel at Site Adminiatration > Users > Accounts > Upload users with a CSV file to update the users with a Cohort belonging.

Or, have i missed something?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

Re: Bulk populate cohorts

by Simon Rediss-Whitfield -

Hi Peter, it all depends on the setup of your users, because all of mine are split into separate companies I use the extra filters and assign to a cohort by email address using the bulk actions, I could also (if they are already setup) assign them using the bulk actions again by course categories.

If the users are being setup from scratch though I would say the CSV is the quickest and most efficient way of doing this

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Simon Rediss-Whitfield

by Peter Diedrichs -

Thank you Simon!

What I would like is the possibility for 'distributed admins' at category level to not only create cohorts, but also populate those cohorts (in a rational manner, like by csv) without the permission for core administration. But I guess this is not possible in 2.8

by Simon Rediss-Whitfield -

Do you not have the option to create custom roles in 2.8?

https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Creating_custom_roles

In reply to Simon Rediss-Whitfield

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm not sure a manager assigned at category level can upload users into cohorts, as you have noticed, Peter. Your managers could do this if they were assigned at site level (like an admin).

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Peter Diedrichs -

OK, thanks. I'll make this a feature request then. We have a distributed organisation of several admins on category level.

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-52288

But it does make me a bit curious: how come admins on category level may create cohorts, but not populate them in a rational way? Maybe there's a good reason?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think it is probably do with the capability Capabilities/moodle/site:uploadusers being only available in the system context.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Peter Diedrichs -

Yes, probably. That one is always making me a bit nervous when populating cohorts from csv files, about changing anything else for the users wink