Only Certain Users Can Use

Only Certain Users Can Use

by Graham Stone -
Number of replies: 20
Picture of Testers

Hello,

We are having a strange issue where only certain people can log into our Moodle using the official app.  Our Moodle Mobile Service is set up correctly to allow all users so i'm wondering if there is anything I could be missing?  We are using Moodle 2.9.1 and the latest version of the app.

Cheers,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Graham Stone

Re: Only Certain Users Can Use

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Grahan,

does your site have configured a Site policy (that the user must agree) or enabled different auth methods for the users?

We'd need to know any special setting/configuration in your site, specially those related to authentication.

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Graham Stone -
Picture of Testers

Hi Juan,

No we don't use a site or password policy and the only authentication methods we use are LDAP, Manual accounts and External Database.

What level of access do you require to my site to investigate further?

Thanks,

In reply to Graham Stone

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Graham,

just a basic user account (not able to login), the user could not be enrolled in any course.

The users that cannot access, which auth methods use?

Regards, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Graham Stone -
Picture of Testers
We have it where some tutors or students can't log in via the app they just get an error saying "Invalid response value detected".  These are LDAP accounts and are enrolled on courses and have no problems logging into Moodle via their web browsers. 
If I gave you an admin account on our Moodle would that help you investigate?

Cheers,
In reply to Graham Stone

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Graham,

right now, we just need a non-privileged LDAP user account to debug the code.

Maybe, we'd ask you to enable debugging in your site to receive the full error trace.

Can you send us the user credentials to mobile@moodle.com referencing this post?

Juan

In reply to Graham Stone

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Graham (Stone).

I received the user credentials but I cannot find your Moodle site URL, can you send me the URL  to mobile@moodle.com please?

Juan

In reply to Graham Stone

by Graham Treadwell -

Hello Graham (another Graham here!)

I see that we have both posted queries on Moodle about the Moodle APP.  Is it possible that you are experiencing a similar issue to me--only those with Administrator privileges can log on to the APP?  Anyone else gets a quirky/geeky, unhelpful message telling them that a parameter is missing.

I have spent hours going through Moodle Docs and the Internet to try to find a solution.  I have exhausted all the obvious ones like allowing mobile web access.  I do see, however, that when I try to enrol anyone who is not an Administrator for the APP, I get messages back indicating that the other people have missing capabilities.  Again not very helpful because there is no advice on how to give everyone those capabilities.

My intention is to allow ALL authenticated users to also access the Moodle website through the APP.  I am really surprised that it is proving to be so difficult to achieve...sad

Regards

Graham

In reply to Graham Treadwell

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Graham,

it usually works in the 99% of Moodle sites, but there are hundred of thousands of installations and sometimes we find weird errors like yours.

Sometimes are related to server configurations, a combination of Moodle settings or custom developments/hacks. We've found plenty of that errors during this last two years.

Regards, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Graham Treadwell -

Hi Juan

Did you receive my e-mail about 2 days ago?

I've given you a user account

Username juan

Password Abcd123?

I have also turned on the debugger.  I hope that it is all ready for you too take a look?

Let me know if you need anything more.

I appreciate your help.

Regards

Graham

by Juan Leyva -

Yes, I replied (in your email was missing your site URL)

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Graham Treadwell -

Hi again Juan

Did you receive my previous reply?

Hi Juan

Thanks for your quick reply and help.

I am introducing Moodle at the school I teach in and we now have nearly 500 users already!  Our students are very tech-savvy and the APP will certainly be popular…

I have set up an account for you

Website               materdei.icomtekasia.com

Username           juan

Password            Abcd123?

I have set your e-mail to mobile@moodle.com

Graham

Bangkok

Truth is by nature self-evident. As soon as you remove the cobwebs of ignorance that surround it, it shines clear.  Mahatma Gandhi

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.  George Orwell

Sent: Monday, November 16, 2015 6:30 PM
To: Graham Treadwell <treadwellinbkk@gmail.com>
Subject: Moodle in English: Re: Only Certain Users Can Use

Picture of Juan Leyva

by Juan Leyva - Monday, 16 November 2015, 5:59 PM

Hi Graham,

it usually works in the 99% of Moodle sites, but there are hundred of thousands of installations and sometimes we find weird errors like yours.

Sometimes are related to server configurations, a combination of Moodle settings or custom developments/hacks. We've found plenty of that errors during this last two years.

Regards, Juan

You can reply to this via email.

by Juan Leyva -

Graham (Treadwell),

can you check out if in Users - Permissions - Define role, the Authenticated user has this capabilities enabled?

moodle/webservice:createmobiletoken

and

moodle/webservice:createtoken

That should solve your problem

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Graham Treadwell -

Hi Juan

I see that

moodle/webservice:createmobiletoken  has Allow next to it

moodle/webservice:createtoken              has Allow next to it...

See screenshot below/attachment

Is there something more that I need to do?

Attachment Moodle Oermissions.jpg

by Juan Leyva -
Can you check those capabilities for the Authenticated User on Frontpage too?
In reply to Juan Leyva

by Graham Treadwell -

Can you tell me exactly what the string of commends is that I should use to log in to that part of Moodle

by Juan Leyva -
Hi Graham,

I think that the problem is that you are using this URL for accesing Moodle:
http://materdei.icomtekasia.com/

when you site real URL is:

http://m285.icomtekasia.com/moodle/

The previous one is a redirection, you must use the real URL always because the redirection is not correctly handled by the app

We'll take a look to handle this type of redirection, but is something difficult because technically we don't really are aware if the server is doing any redirection.

I tried to access using the latest url and it worked for me

Juan
In reply to Juan Leyva

by Graham Treadwell -
Thank you Juan, it now works. I really appreciate your help. I will now send out instructions to all users on how to get started using the APP.

By the way, are there instructions in Moodle Docs on how to download the APP for Android devices?  I use Apple and have not installed it on an Android device yet.

Regards

Graham
In reply to Juan Leyva

by Graham Treadwell -

Juan

I’m not sure this message go thought to you?

moodle/webservice:createmobiletoken           SAYS ALLOW

and

moodle/webservice:createtoken                      SAYS ALLOW

See screenshot which I attach

Graham

Bangkok

Truth is by nature self-evident. As soon as you remove the cobwebs of ignorance that surround it, it shines clear.  Mahatma Gandhi

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.  George Orwell

Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 7:31 PM
To: Graham Treadwell <treadwellinbkk@gmail.com>
Subject: Moodle in English: Re: Only Certain Users Can Use

Picture of Juan Leyva

by Juan Leyva - Wednesday, 18 November 2015, 7:00 PM

Graham (Treadwell),

can you check out if in Users - Permissions - Define role, the Authenticated user has this capabilities enabled?

moodle/webservice:createmobiletoken

and

moodle/webservice:createtoken

That should solve your problem

Juan

You can reply to this via email.