Using Moodle as an Employee Development tool

Using Moodle as an Employee Development tool

by Odie Parkins -
Number of replies: 3

I've searched and not found exactly what I'm looking for.  Has anyone here utilized Moodle as a tool for employee development?  

My team develops instructors.  They devote an amount of time observing veteran instructors and are then placed into a classroom to facilitate small sections of the training we provide.  Each time they "co-instruct" they add sections of a four day training program.  During these times, they have a master facilitator with them that takes notes for coaching after the training and the veteran also serves as a "safety net" of sorts in the event the content gets away from the new instructor/facilitator.  

Development of a new instructor may take up to two years due to scheduling, etc.  The master instructor always spends time prepping with the new instructor and providing daily coaching.  At the end of the 4 day session, the master instructor performs a full debrief with feedback for improvement and positive feedback.  All of this information is then passed on to a master coach that keeps track of an individual instructor's development and hands it off to the next master instructor who will work with the developing instructor.  This continues until that developing instructor is deemed competent to handle their own classroom.  

I'm looking for a system that will allow for a continuing compilation of both written feedback and likert scale feedback.  One that a master instructor can use to focus on continuing development and that the developing instructor can use for personal development.  

Is this possible with moodle?  Is there a module that exists that will do this?

Thank you in advance for any input you may have.

Odie

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Odie Parkins

Re: Using Moodle as an Employee Development tool

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I believe you could achieve what you are trying to do with a journal or blog, in terms of the development of ongoing feedback, while scales can be created in either the quiz or feedback.

This also seems an ideal situation for users compiling a portfolio or reflective practice journal of some description - that may be best served by integrating mahara with your moodle and using the strengths of both to create what you are looking for.

In reply to Odie Parkins

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I use Moodle for employee development for a 5000+ employee agency, so yes, you can.  How you do it is up to you.  We do both classroom training (tracked with Facetoface plugin) and on-line training and a few hybrid (some classroom, some on-line).

You can include activities, like quizzes, chats, forums, lessons, wikis and written assignments.  Forums can include all the instructors, build a sense of community.  If several staff are being trained at the same time, a peer feedback activity can be really helpful (workshop)...but this doesn't mean the instructor doesn't also give feedback.  You can also create manual grade items in the grade book for off-line activities.  The options are pretty extensive...

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

My first Moodle was used specifically for this purpose, not as sophisticated as your need, but it has had a lot of trained people go through the courses now available. It took a couple of years to get it where it was really needed as far as developing the materials required, but I suspect it is still developing as to exactly what is needed, as needs change. The real beauty of using Moodle is in that a not-for-profit that must comply with ever changing government regulation, changes can be made quickly and efficiently. The number of courses that use the Journal and blogs are increasing all the time, the Feedback module is being used increasingly, so I noticed when I last looked. (I'm a 'volunteer' admin, i.e. I talked them into using Moodle originally, so was landed with looking after it. Now they have other people running it, so I pop in every now and again to have a look and ask how its all going.)  It still fulfills its secondary function as an information kiosk for their clientele, as well. More importantly, they still smile at me when I go in...smile and I am not getting panicky phone calls about it not working, so it must be doing the job.