General plugins (Local): Moodle Mail Test for Testing Site Email

Re: General plugins (Local): Moodle Mail Test for Testing Site Email

by Michael Milette -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Moodle Community!

Just in time for the long awaited Moodle 3.1 LTS, TNG Consulting Inc. has just release the second version of Mail Test which enables Moodle administrators to easily test their Moodle site's SMTP configuration and ensure that emails are being delivered correctly. Both developers and system administrators will find this plugin valuable when setting up a new instance of Moodle or for troubleshooting issues with existing installations.

You can get the latest version of the MailTest plugin here: https://moodle.org/plugins/view/local_mailtest

New in this release:

• French Translation in AMOS - Update your French language packs!
  • Displays whether the test is using the PHP mail() function or talking directly to the SMTP server.
  • Option to choose whether test email will be sent from your email address, the noreply user email address, or the support email address.
  • Moodle MailTest is now compatible with Moodle 2.5 to 3.1 LTS.
  • README.md now contains answers to common questions (FAQ).
  • Added CHANGELOG.md file.
  • Added link to plugin's discussion forum in the plugin's Moodle.org Plugins directory.

Feel free to post questions and suggestions.

Best regards,

Michael Milette

In reply to Michael Milette

by marwa bekrar -

Hello Michael Milette,

I installed your plugin on my moodle platform successfully : 

But when I test, I get this error: 

Here is my Email settings: 

I kept everything in default settings. What is wrong in my settings ? 

Thank you. 

In reply to marwa bekrar

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Do you have a php mailer installed on your server?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by marwa bekrar -

Hello Emma,

I installed it with this command : sudo apt-get install libphp-phpmailer

If there is another procedure to follow, please show it to me . 

I use PHP 7.0.8 on ubuntu server 16.04

Thanks. 

In reply to marwa bekrar

by marwa bekrar -

I am sorry, the problem was in php sendmail.

I succeeded this time, thanks Emma 

In reply to marwa bekrar

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Marwa,

Although you've already resolved your issue, I will expand a little on what appears to have happened.

The fact that the SMTP hosts field is empty in your screenshot tells me that Moodle is trying to use SendMail. The reason there is no additional information is due to the fact that it Moodle could not establish any communication at all with a mail server.

In order to make Moodle work, you always have to either configure your settings in Moodle or in SendMail (or something similar). As you discovered, in your case the problem was with the SendMail configuration.

The latest version of eMailTest, released on November 27th 2016 on Moodle.org, actually provides additional information for this exact situation. You must have installed the old version just before I made the new one available.

Glad to hear that everything is working for you.

Best regards,

Michael

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Milette

by marwa bekrar -

Yes, that's true. I installed it before 27th November 2016. 

Thank you MICHAEL smile