Certificate dependent on conditional activities not generating

Certificate dependent on conditional activities not generating

by Fiona Hobbs -
Number of replies: 4

Hi everyone,

I am using v.2.9.2 and have site admin access. I have searched the forums for an answer to my problem and am unable to find anything specific to my need.

I have have a course that has conditional activities: a quiz, viewing an activity and 75% pass grade. There is also a requirement to be in the course for minimum of 60 minutes which is set in the certificate settings. I notice the certificate completion is set to view this activity to complete it.

I have tested the course and when I click on the link for the certificate, I get a message that says 'you need to be in the course for a minimum of 60 minutes'. I timed myself to to make sure I was in the course for 80 minutes.

Would appreciate it if someone wiser that me could tell me how to fix this. I have spent hours searching Moodle docs, forums and fiddling around - my frustration level is high.

Thanks in anticipation.

Fiona

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fiona Hobbs

Re: Certificate Time in Course not working - 2.9.2 confirmed

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Fiona,

It does not work for me as well.

No disrespect to any of the developers, but I have always (since 2007) had trouble with time in a course, so I don't use it as a condition.  This is not just related to the certificate module.  

I have a new 2.9.2 Moodle localhost with the certificate version below. Sounds like a bug.  

$plugin->version   = 2015083100; // The current module version (Date: YYYYMMDDXX)
$plugin->requires  = 2015051100; // Requires this Moodle version

In my certificate course, I have two students.  I setup a simple two question quiz and a new certificate.  I first set conditions that a user had to only spend 2 minutes in the course.   Student 1 took the quiz and passed, stayed in the course for over 4 minutes. Clicked on the certificate and was told they had to stay in the course 2 minutes to receive the certificate.

I turned on activity completion for the course.  I left the 2 minute condition in certificate and set an additional restriction that the student needed 80% on the short quiz.   Logged in as Student 2.   Passed the quiz, was logged into the course for over 4 minutes.  Same result. 

The thing to do is to put in a bug with tracker.  No more time left this AM, may revisit and do it this PM.

Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Fiona Hobbs -

Thanks Chris. 

I'm glad to hear that someone else has the same experience. I thought I had made a mistake in the settings.

The course I refer to requires that a student be in the course for 60 minutes in order to gain professional development points.

Do you think there is any issue with the time requirement being in the certificate settings? Maybe this then requires you to be in the certificate for 60 minutes even though it says 'time required in course'. This may be a silly question as I'm not a coder/developer, but I'm grasping at straws.

My only option at this stage is to leave the conditions in place so I can see that a person has met them, check the logs for their time spent inside the course and issue a certificate manually. It's not ideal but is a work around.

Do you know if the developer of the plug in is involved in its continuing development?

Fiona

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Fiona,

I don't know much about coding. The exception concerns the certificate types.  

As for the code, I don't know where certificate goes to get the information.  Over the weekend I may take a look.   But I will just about guarantee that even if I sort of figure it out, the solution is way over my head.

I am very familiar with the seat time vrs demonstrate competency  for professional development credit discussions.   Don't get me going on how productive or even enthralling some face to face training are compared to something that is offered on-line.  Sigh.

Not sure who is the active supervisor of development for this module.  Mark Nelson's name is on the plugin.   He is a long time Moodle contributor.   Others have assisted.

Chris

by Fiona Hobbs -

Hi Chris,

Just to update you, I removed the time requirement on a different course and the certificate issued. Although my Moodle host does not support plugins, I have submitted a ticket in the hope they can help me.

Thanks for responding to my query.

Regards

Fiona