I recently released a new Atto editor plugin which allows you import Word content into any textbox in Moodle, see https://moodle.org/plugins/view/atto_wordimport. It delivers much better results than copying and pasting Word content into text fields.
The main features are as follows.
- It imports quite clean XHTML without all the crud usually associated with pasting content from Word.
- It imports any images embedded in the Word file (as long as they are Internet-compatible, i.e. GIF/PNG/JPEG, but not BMP or EPS).
- It converts Microsoft Equation Editor equations into MathML and imports the MathML in a way that is compatible with MathJax.
- It imports tables, retaining merged rows and cells, but not table borders (at present).
- It imports the Word heading styles (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.) into XHTML heading elements (e.g. h3, h4), and allows you specify a mapping between the heading style and the preferred element.