Anonymous questionnaire leaves no trace in logs ?

Anonymous questionnaire leaves no trace in logs ?

by Mark Pearson -
Number of replies: 3

Moodle 2.8.7 build 20150706, Questionnaire release 2.8.2 (Build - 2015031901).

I have a Teacher reasonably experienced with Moodle and is using the Questionnaire in anonymous mode to present a Midterm course evaluation survey to students for extra credit. Here's what she writes :

I asked my students to complete a midterm eval for extra credit. In the past, I could set this as anonymous, but I could look at the activity logs to see who had completed it, but not how they answered. What I remembered doing doesn't seem to be working. Is there a way to see this information?

When, as Moodle Tsar (Administrator) I ran Course administration > Reports > Logs | 'Midterm evaluation' I got the response " Nothing to display ". But when I look at the logs for a non anonymous questionnaire I can see actions such as 'Course module viewed' and 'Responses submitted'. So a regular Questionnaire seems to generate logs in the normal way but the anonymous Questionnaire seems to generate no logs at all -- hence 'nothing to display'.

Is this a feature ? Or should I file it as a bug?

Workaround suggestion #1 was to switch the Questionnaire to 'fullname' in order to see who had responded. However, the Help tells us that "Once the "anonymous" option has been set in a questionnaire, it's impossible to revert to the "fullname" option, for obvious privacy reasons.", and this is so.

The activity was initially set to 'no grade' (she does her grading in Excel) and as workaround #2 I suggested changing the settings to give the activity a small submission grade. However, when she does this the Questionnaire does not seem to retroactively set a grade for students who have already taken the survey.

The problem now is this. Without knowing which students responded to the Questionnaire how is she going to give a grade for extra credit?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Pearson

Re: Anonymous questionnaire leaves no trace in logs ?

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Mark the Tsar,

Nothing in the log?  Were they limited to filling it out once? If so then Moodle has to know.   Have your tried the backdoor via MySQL?   What about the tried and true: a new test student takes the anonymous questionnaire under the old settings and then look at the logs and MySQL?

Sort of related: Once upon a long time ago in 2.2, we used anonymous questionnaires.  I had issued them a point for taking them as you suggested so the students would see a check mark and Excel would know who completed them.

However a few students went well over the line with their comments about visiting faculty.   The word came down from on high, "who wrote that?"  I matched the order in the log with the order we could see as submissions.   They were spread out enough it was obvious (moral: do your evals in class with everyone else, not late at night possibly under the influence).  Must be giving credit had something to do with it showing up in the log.

Not sure if this is a bug or what.   Obviously the setting worked too well. 

Chris

In reply to Mark Pearson

Re: Anonymous questionnaire leaves no trace in logs ?

by Rob Johnson -

Hi Mark,

Does the course participation report give you data here?  Go to Course admin > Reports > Course participation.  Select the questionnaire, the look back period and student role.  Have it report only posts.  I think it will give you a yes/no if a user has submitted or not.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)