Moodle research

Any position on research drawing on Moodle community forum posts?

Picture of David Jones
Any position on research drawing on Moodle community forum posts?
Plugin developers
G'day All,

Costello (2014) in talking about ethical considerations around research based on data publicly available from websites says
The AoIR recommendations that researchers check the policies of websites for particular usage restrictions were followed here. The Moodle discussion forums have for instance detailed guidelines for their use but have nothing relevant to say about using or reproducing data. (p. 72)

I'm wondering if this description still applies? Are there any established guidelines for research that draws upon discussions within the Moodle community forums?

I do note that the Moodle.org privacy policy includes the following
All information that you disclose in your public profile, in forum posts, comments, tracker, or other public portions of the moodle.org and moodle.net sites becomes public information. All content is made available under the GNU General Public License, unless otherwise stated.

That would seem to suggest re-use of the content of forum posts for research purposes is appropriate. As long as it meets the requirements of the GPL and recommendations such as those from the AoIR.

Correct? Am I missing something?

David.

Costello, E. (2014). Participatory Practices in Open Source Educational Software : The Case of the Moodle Bug Tracker Community. University of Dublin. Retrieved from http://www.tara.tcd.ie/handle/2262/71751

Average of ratings: -
Just wondering . . .
Re: Any position on research drawing on Moodle community forum posts?
Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think you are correct David.

It will be interesting to see what you discover.

-Derek

My mug
Re: Any position on research drawing on Moodle community forum posts?
Core developersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersPlugin developersTesters

That is correct, David.

In fact, we have given extracted moodle.org forum data to researchers for analysis in the past (after ensuring the research was appropriate to invest that effort).