a Master Calendar for teachers

a Master Calendar for teachers

by George Kao -
Number of replies: 7
I've enrolled our faculty in each other's courses as hidden teachers so that they can see in the master calendar (on our moodle homepage) the assignments and conference calls for all courses. The purpose is to help them schedule their course activities without conflicting with each others' courses.

The trouble with enrolling them as hidden teachers is that they all get the email notifications for assignments ("student XYZ has updated their assignment submission") for each others' courses.

Another idea is to enroll them as students in one another's courses, but the downside is that they show up in the gradebooks, as well as the participants lists, even though they aren't participating in the course.

Anyone have suggestions on the best way to accomplish the master calendar feature?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to George Kao

Re: a Master Calendar for teachers

by Jeff Wood -
Hi George,

I too am hoping there is a way to create different classes of users so that calendar events can be tailored to different groups.

e.g. teachers, parents (plus current ones)

My school is using moodle and another software package for staff.  I am trying to get everyone to moodle.

I suppose a temporary solution is to create a "staff" course. Assign all teachers to it and them site course events here.

Thoughts?

Jeff
In reply to Jeff Wood

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I've been mulling over a similar type solution for allowing teachers to record when they are having tests as we do not like for a student to have more than 3 tests on any given day. While having another course helps it does create a little replication but perhaps that is necessary. With roles and groups coming out perhaps there might be a more elegant solution. 
In reply to Jeff Wood

by Maxine Reid -
An administrator would help that person would collect all test dates from teachers and see to it that there are no test on the same day
In reply to Maxine Reid

by Jeff Wood -
Hi Maxine,

I have set up our moodle site so that key people (secretaries, me, student council teacher) can add "global events," which is great for things effecting the entire school.

The problem I see with having an admin add test dates to the schools "global events" is that anyone using the "upcoming events" block would be inundated with events. 

I feel the best solution is still a "role" system so that only people with that role will see the dates, but I like your fix.

Jeff
In reply to Jeff Wood

by Benjamin Peters -

Jeff,

This might sound silly, but how did you allow some users to add "global events?" I have searched the permissions and found nothing about global events, i have added people to teachers in the roles for the calendar and all i can get people to do is add a user event. I am using Moodle 1.9.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Ben

In reply to Benjamin Peters

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there. Have a look at the Calendar editor role here.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Benjamin Peters -

thanks Mary, looks like it has done exactly what i wanted. a very good trick, i have used it for some other various tasks for some of our other teachers too, eg a password changer role.

thanks again.

B.Peters