Adding one cohort to multiple courses

Adding one cohort to multiple courses

by Garrett Button -
Number of replies: 9

Hi, 

I tried to search for this problem every way I could and couldn't turn up anything, so here I am.

I have a new cohort that I'm adding to my instance of moodle. This new cohort needs to be added to about 50 courses. I've been going into each course, to users, to enrolment methods, to cohort sync and adding the cohort. 

This is slow and tedious.

I'm wondering if there's a simpler way for me to say "I want this cohort in all of these courses" and be done with it. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the time,

GB

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Garrett Button

Re: Adding one cohort to multiple courses

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Create a category for your courses, Then enrol your cohort at that category level, just once, done.

In reply to William Lu

by Garrett Button -

I think that's the problem, I can't find any documentation about how to add cohorts at the category level - just the course level. 

Any advice on this?

In reply to Garrett Button

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello. It is currently not possible to enrol cohorts at the category level. Please see Cohorts FAQ and the associated tracker issue. If you really wanted to, you could use Category enrolments (although this has not been recommended.)

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by William Lu -

Thanks to Mary for her correction to my daydreaming post.

Sorry to Garrett Button for misleading. I didn't test it at first.

I do use the Category enrolments for Heads and Leaders for our school.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Andrew Field -
I wonder if I might follow up on this further? Looking through some of the bug / issue tracker mentions of Category enrolments I full appreciate the performance warning about using them.

In a very similar situation to the original poster, I've got cohorts that I'd like to enrol into large number of courses.  I've veered away from using Category enrolments.  However, I have had to develop a manual script that enrols the cohort to each course in turn and it feels cumbersome.

It's making me think I should experiment with Category enrolments - but I do need to do this at scale and also support upgrades in the future. It looks like Category enrolments are not going to be part of future Moodle development and it would be helpful to get others' views on the best ongoing practice to enrol cohorts to a large number of courses within a category....

In reply to Andrew Field

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

It appears that this could be done with the course upload tool.  Using the update function, you should be able to add your cohorts to multiple courses.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Andrew Field -

Thanks for the reply Emma,

I'll see if that produces a solution.

In reply to Andrew Field

by C Behan -

HI Andrew 

Did you succeed in doing this? If so, how did you go about it?

Thanks, Catherine

In reply to C Behan

by Richard van Iwaarden -

Same question here, I think it can't be done with course upload tool.

I'd like to see someone prove me that I'm wrong!