Tabbing in Single View of Gradebook

In reply to Susan Fielder

Re: Tabbing in Single View of Gradebook

by Mark McKay -

Hi Susan,

We were able to alter the code to meet this need, but I'm hesitant to post it because I think we need to do additional research to make sure this is the desired behavior. If we change the tab order to columns, then a user that wants to enter feedback is inconvenienced. Perhaps there is a way to set up navigation with the arrow keys. We'll look into it further.

Mark

In reply to Mark McKay

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I would agree that the tabbing needs to go down the grade column.  We are trying to speed up grading and I would say that the vast majority of teachers are just going to want to move the cursor down and enter grades.  Arrow keys are all well and good but I would suggest using them for sideways movement and using tab for down.  That will be the most desired behavior.

In reply to Mark McKay

by Carly Born -

+1 for tabbing down rather than horizontally to feedback.  That was always one of the selling points I used when showing how to enter grades directly in the Grader Report, it was very popular.

But I also support arrow key navigation to the feedback field, if desired.  Make it easy for everyone.

In reply to Susan Fielder

by Paul Nicholls -

It should be possible to use ctrl+[arrow keys] to navigate the Grader Report, if you have AJAX turned on for the Grader Report - though this currently appears to be broken on qa.moodle.net (I'll look into that shortly).  However, this doesn't appear to apply to the Single View - although given that there are still multiple columns (with feedback + checkboxes), perhaps it ought to.

In reply to Paul Nicholls

by Paul Nicholls -

I've logged MDL-51918 regarding the keyboard navigation issue (which only applies when editing is turned on - with AJAX enabled but editing turned off, the keyboard navigation works as expected).  I've also commented on MDL-51900 with my thoughts on it.

In reply to Paul Nicholls

by Paul Nicholls -

Just a brief update - a patch for MDL-51918 has now landed in core.  It didn't quite make it in time for 3.0RC1, but I imagine it should be in next week's releases.