Error reading from database(after importing)

Error reading from database(after importing)

by Nathaniel Andreoni -
Number of replies: 2

So, i installed moodle 2.8.8 in my machine with the LAMP pack and phpmyadmin. The installation worked and i tried to import a database from a moodle 1.9.something(i'm not really sure and can't check right now) which worked(i checked the databases through phpmyadmin) using the "source" sql command. But now, when i try to open moodle through "localhost/moodle/"(which worked before the import) it is written only "Error reading from database". I did not do any conversion of database from 1.9.x to 2.3.x and i ask if that could be the problem or if the problem could come from somewhere else. I thank anybody who helps me and i'm sorry if i did anything dumb haha.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nathaniel Andreoni

Re: Error reading from database(after importing)

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

2.8.8  will have a different table structure from 1.9. I'm not surprised that it simply can't read it. You can't upgrade from 1.9 straight to 2.8. The correct way to do this is:

1. Upgrade to 1.9.19 if you haven't already. This makes the database compatible to upgrade to 2.2.
  2. Upgrade to 2.2.x. This is the latest version that will accept a 1.9 database to upgrade.
  3. Upgrade to 2.8.8.

Documentation exists to help you with that. It's better to read and follow it.

https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Upgrading

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bret Miller

Re: Error reading from database(after importing)

by Nathaniel Andreoni -

Oh, i wasn't aware about the different table structures. Now i'll probably be able to upgrade correctly :D

Thanks for your help