LDAP does not work after restarting machines

LDAP does not work after restarting machines

by shoaib latif -
Number of replies: 9
Hi.

I have configured LDAP with NTLM SSO in moodle 2.9 ( SQL 2012) and I am facing some strange issues like mentioned below;

1. when i restart machines LDAP stop working, give error

LDAP-module cannot connect to any servers: Server: 'ldap://lms.lms.net', Connection: 'Resource id #91', Bind result: ''
and after some time user gets login with out changing any configuration. very strange that why its error on first login attempt and why it stats working after some time without any change in configuration.

2. second it prompts for credentials on few machines and gives above error on some other machines.

i am very much upset because i have to configure this feature in production of 20000 users.

please some one helps me about this unstable behavior.

regards
shoaib

Average of ratings: -
In reply to shoaib latif

Re: LDAP does not work after restarting machines

by shoaib latif -

Hi, i need further help to change text "Attempting Single Sign On via NTLM..." on sso login page. please help

In reply to shoaib latif

by shoaib latif -

setup information

moodle 2.9+

sql server 2012

IIS 8

latest browsers

In reply to shoaib latif

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The delayed start might be services starting up still on your ldap server.  There are so many possibilities here, I suggest trying to isolate a little. 

Is it specific users that are having trouble or machines?  Could something on the network be causing it?  Are you trying to log in with the same user and do you have restrictions on multiple logins?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by shoaib latif -

Hi Emma,

Thanks for reply..

these are on all users and machines. i have three machines in lab environment.

Ping and telnet works while users face issue.

I tried on different machines with different users and result is same.

is there is any configuration related refresh rate or login time.

regards

shoaib

In reply to shoaib latif

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I think it about has to be an issue with your ldap server as opposed to moodle server.  Bind error is normally due to the bind user being set up incorrectly but if it starts working after a while, that is very confusing.  Are you restarting the ldap server? 

Oh, regarding the wording on Attempting to sign on... you should be able to change that customizing the language in language settings. 

by shoaib latif -
Dear Emma,

Today, I switched on my LAB machines and I face same issue, Then I logged with admin user by using skip url /login/index.php?authldap_skipntlmsso=1 and enabled debug option. after that i tried to login with sso. it gives following message and successfully logged in with AD user.

SSO started working after approximately 10 minutes. this time is fix it varies.

see snapshot
Attachment Untitled.png
In reply to shoaib latif

by shoaib latif -

Emma,

I re-populated error by restarting MOODLE and AD machines. please see below error snapshot

Attachment er.png
In reply to shoaib latif

by Emma Richardson -

So regular login works but just the SSO is not working?

by shoaib latif -

Thanks for giving time to my issue.

I could not differentiate. when ever i switched on my machine, it gives error after some time without any changes it starts working,

today i switched on debug option and shared error.

regards

shoaib