Maxima + STACK under WAMP

Maxima + STACK under WAMP

by James Choi -
Number of replies: 6

Would STACK work  under WAMP?  If so, is it also under the same Maxima version restriction?

Thank you in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Choi

Re: Maxima + STACK under WAMP

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, it works. You do need to use a supported version of Maxima. Normally, support is kept fairly up-to-date with new Maxima releases, but there was a specific issue with the last release.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Christopher Sangwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Tim,

Just to be specific, please avoid Maxima 5.37.0 or later until I have time to add support.  Some functions in STACK do not currently work with the latest version.

Chris

In reply to Christopher Sangwin

by James Choi -

Thank you for the clarification.  I was able to successfully run the health script thanks to your replies.

I have an additional question.  In your presentation on YouTube (

) I can see that the STACK's response is rather slow although you must be the only user on your localhost.  In your book, you also mention that Maxima's response is the limiting factor.

Before I dive in, is it possible to have some idea on what kind of computing power I would need to host 10 simultaneous users using STACK quizzes?

I am wondering if it would be better for me to send a self-hosted (with LAMP+Maxima+moodle) Ubuntu virtual machines to students and transmit only their grades to online Moodle.  That way, it will be near infinitely scalable.

In reply to James Choi

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The slow part is the time it takes to run Maxima to do the maths processing. There are some things you can do to speed it up a bit.

A good way to get an impression of how well your server will cope under high load is to run all the Answer test tests. You can find that on the admin screen, nearl the link to the healthcheck. Running those tests puts a very high load on the Maxima back-end (particularlly if you go to health-check and press the "clear the cache" button first.)