Unable to uninstall gapfill question type

Unable to uninstall gapfill question type

by Hartmut Scherer -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all,

Can anybody help me to uninstall the gapfill question type? After I had installed the gapfill question type version 1.7 (2006082515) in Moodle 2.9.1 yesterday, I got this error message:

Debug info: 

Error code: ddltablenotexist

Stack trace: 

line 585 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: dml_exception thrown

line 1428 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->where_clause()

line 108 of /question/type/gapfill/questiontype.php: call to moodle_database->get_record()

line 758 of /lib/questionlib.php: call to qtype_gapfill->get_question_options()

line 792 of /lib/questionlib.php: call to _tidy_question()

line 556 of /question/engine/bank.php: call to get_question_options()

line 328 of /cache/classes/loaders.php: call to question_finder->load_for_cache()

line 1454 of /cache/classes/loaders.php: call to cache->get()

line 479 of /question/engine/bank.php: call to cache_application->get()

line 255 of /question/engine/bank.php: call to question_finder->load_question_data()

line 274 of /question/engine/bank.php: call to question_bank::load_question_data()

line 195 of /mod/quiz/classes/structure.php: call to question_bank::load_question()

line 432 of /mod/quiz/classes/output/edit_renderer.php: call to mod_quiz\structure->can_finish_during_the_attempt()

line 399 of /mod/quiz/classes/output/edit_renderer.php: call to mod_quiz\output\edit_renderer->question_row()

line 71 of /mod/quiz/classes/output/edit_renderer.php: call to mod_quiz\output\edit_renderer->questions_in_section()

line 211 of /mod/quiz/edit.php: call to mod_quiz\output\edit_renderer->edit_page()

I tried to uninstall the gapfill question type, i.e., I deleted the question type in the file manager of my cPanel, but I got a "missing from disk" message in the plugins overview, but I can't find anything about the gapfill question type in phpMyAdmin. How can I completely uninstall gapfill? 

Any advice is highly appreciated.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

Re: Unable to uninstall gapfill question type

by Rodney Wolford -

Hello,

I think your "unistall method" was wrong.

Not an expert, but I would suggest you add the gapfill question type back in (several ways to do this, including reinstall, download zip, or update.)

Then if you want to uninstall it, in your Moodle go to Administrator->Site Administration->Plugins->Question Types->Manage Question types and then find yourgapfill plugin in the list.

At this point, you can turn it off, with the eyeball; change its settings; or delete it. If you choose to delete it, to prevent it from returning, you are also advised to follow the path in an external editor (cPanel, for example) and delete the folder.

When you merely delete the file from your setup without following this method you have only removed the files, but not the database reference. As a result, it will continue to return telling you it is "missing from the disk," because it is, according to your database.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rod

In reply to Rodney Wolford

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hello Rodney,

Thank you for your fast response. I wish I could uninstall it with the method that you outlined in your post. Unfortunately, there is no "Uninstall" in the gapfill row (see screen shot below).

Gapfill - no uninstall

Even reinstalling the question type didn't include the "Uninstall." That is why I tried to delete the gapfill question type in the file manager. 

After your post I searched the Moodle database and deleted the two instances. After this I saw the "Uninstall" and was able to delete the question type. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Hartmut

It is a feature of all question types that they cannot be uninstalled  if there are any instances in the database, even hidden instances.  Usually clicking on the link where it says (0+1 hidden) will take you to the question.

It sounds like you are comfortable working directly with the database but someone less technical would have found it a problem.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)