Add a Quiz within a Page

Add a Quiz within a Page

by Rodney Wolford -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I would like to be able to add a quiz question as an element in a page. User would read text on the page, then have a click for a quiz question about the text without messy redirection. Then after completing the quiz person would be directed back to page or based on answers to other pages. Seems like this should be pretty easy to do, but haven't figured it out yet.

I know this is what lesson is designed to do, but I find it too restrictive and the possible quiz elements are not as robust as are the quiz offerings.

For example, a page gives information about "XYZ." Within the page is a quiz question that says "So what do you think about XYZ?" When the question is completed, the person either moves on in the section or is redirected for remediation or advancement as the case may be.

Any help or suggestions?

Rod

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rodney Wolford

Re: Add a Quiz within a Page

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Rod,

Just saying, it does not appear to be simple. 

Historically (1.5 onward?) there has been a push/pull for Lesson having the more robust question features of a Quiz and Quiz having the adaptive ability of a Lesson.   I am not a developer and barely understand Moodle code.   I am guessing it is a huge project to basically create a new "Adaptive" activity which would borrow the question activity's question formats, question scoring and question categories, plus add the re-directive link adaptive features (links based upon a student selection in a link).  

If you think I have liked this idea for a few years, you would be correctsmile    A developer might have a different perspective that is more accurate.

Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Rodney Wolford -

Hi Chris,

I have enjoyed seeing your posts over the years. Great to hear from you in person. I know it is not simple. But I think from a pedagogical standpoint it is an imperative development. Removing the learner from the context of what is being learned to quiz them inhibits the learning framework.

In a related post, I put up some code I use to simulate simple quizzes in the context of a page. https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=243599 I would be very interested in your thoughts about how I am doing this. Of course, it doesn't permit writing to the database, so it is limited. At any rate it is the best I have been able to do.

Thanks for your response,

Rod

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Rod,

Just looking through the Quiz forum entries.   Mary has this:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=313866

Divide quiz 2.9 into section and hide questions from students. 

Now that I have my 2.9 localhost up, I will try it.   Believe Mary has examples up in Orange School demo.

Sorry, looks as if the push/pull has made some serious movement.

Chris

by Rodney Wolford -

Chris,

Thanks for the link. I have just replied to Mary's post, referencing your post and my request.

Regards,

Rod