Creating a helpdesk using forums - subscribing to posts

Creating a helpdesk using forums - subscribing to posts

by Andrew Earley -
Number of replies: 1

I have been tasked to provide an internal helpdesk within our moodle system.

I have tried and tested the Helpdesk block that is available.

However this does not work on our system.

Another idea has been to use a forum as a helpdesk, students will self-enrol themselves to the helpdesk course and will be given a edited student role which will allow them to create posts, the issue with this however is that students who wish to subscribe to get updated will then receive messages for every other post from other students. 

Is there a way in which students can subscribe to just their post and not everyone else.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Earley

Re: Creating a helpdesk using forums - subscribing to posts

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

This is an old post, I know, but since it's been left without an answer  I thought I'd add my own smile

I believe newer Moodle releases have the option to only subscribe to the discussion one has added (or replied to) in a forum.

All you need to do is to switch the forum subscription mode from "forced" or "auto" (unless you prefer the 'op-out' finctionality) to optional.

Also, if you already have students automatically auto-subscribed to the entire forum, clear the list of subscribed users.

Upgrading the student role would only be necessary if you want to use the News forum as the helpdesk forum. If you add an extra forum for the purpose, students are normally allowed to add posts etc.

Oh well, probably all this is a non-issue now ;) Cheers.