Navigation block is just a repeat of course categories

Navigation block is just a repeat of course categories

by Dave Stone -
Number of replies: 2

On my frontpage, I have displayed the 'list of categories' and 'enrolled courses' items.

After clicking a category, the navigation block expands and just becomes a redundant
copy of the category list which appears in the central pane. It looks kind of weird.

Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Stone

Re: Navigation block is just a repeat of course categories

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

As an admin you see all the categories but as a teacher or student you should only see the courses you are enrolled in when looking at the navigation block. So Y7 pupil for example would only see their handful of year 7 courses, not all the categories, so it won't be a copy for them. Also unless you are having students and teachers self enrol you don't have to show the categories or courses on the front page - you could have a nice picture instead smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Navigation block is just a repeat of course categories

by Dave Stone -

> As an admin you see all the categories but as a teacher or student you should only
> see the courses you are enrolled in when looking at the navigation block.

I should have said, I'm using v2.5.x.
The navigation 'my courses' item does as you describe, but the 'courses' item expands all the available courses.

> unless you are having students and teachers self enrol

It's a mixture. I'm using the cohort sync as much as possible for children who are always grouped as a class.
But once the older children start choosing subject options, then they have to self-enrol.
Some staff, like support assistants, have to self-enrol  on various courses depending on who they're helping.