Best way to let teachers give students credit for things outside of class?

Best way to let teachers give students credit for things outside of class?

by Brad Smith -
Number of replies: 4

I am using Moodle to host a purely online course, but the instructor now wants attendance at a live lecture to be one of the requirements for passing the online class.

I suppose I could create some sort of assignment where the student's submission is an assertion that they attended the lecture, which the teacher "grades" by confirming, but my ideal solution is one where the teacher simply checks off that John, Mary, and Sally all attended the lecture (no action needed from the student).  Either way, the students must not be able to pass/complete the course until such an assertion has been made. 

Does anyone know a way to do this? If not, recommendations for which content type to use for something the student submits for manual confirmation?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brad Smith

Re: Best way to let teachers give students credit for things outside of class?

by Mike Verna -
We have a similar situation.

In  earlier versions of Moodle there was actually a type of assignment called "Offline Assignmet" that fulfilled this requirement.

It still exists in Moodle.  When you create an assignment activity  in Moodle, make sure that the "Online Text"  and the "File Submission" boxes are unchecked.

This will create an "Offline Assignment"
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Brad Smith

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Maybe you can create an assignment in the grade book, and manually enter a 1 or a 0 for it.

Then, you can make the final grade be a "calculated" grade, where you simply multiply the the current total by this one grade item, forcing the final grade to 0 if the item is not completed.

Just thinking... I haven't done this.  However, I have used calculated grades from time to time.  Hoping that my suggestion gets folks thinking.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Brad Smith

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I thought a little more about your question, and I do have "Attendance" in all of my face-to-face courses in my Moodle grade book.

I tend to use Excel at the beginning of class to keep track of who showed up.  Then I enter this into my grade book using the "Single View" mode feature within the Moodle grade book.  I guess that if I wanted to, I could open this single view page in my classroom, and just enter the grades.  I really have not thought about doing this, but maybe I will with my next course.  There are two ways to do this: 1) give everyone their points, then change grades for those not attending, or 2) give 0's for those not attending, then do a bulk edit (i.e., give points) for those who are attending.  I am not sure which would work better.  But you have me thinking.

In my grade book, I have a grade category called "Attendance", and I then give it a certain weight towards the final grade.  Usually, I don't give much more than 10-20 percent for attendance, but you might want to weight it more heavily.  I cannot think of a situation for myself where lack of attending one meeting would produce a final grade of zero.  But if a student doesn't attend much, their grade can drop one letter.

In one of my courses, I use "clickers."  When I do this, it is easy to import attendance right into a grade item in Moodle.  I import both a grade for attendance, and a grade for "clicker questions."

As I think more about your question, one might create a forum with one question, such as "What number am I displaying on the white board."  Open this only while in class and let students respond to this question.  Those who get it correct will get attendance points.  Then built your desired weighting for this forum question into the grade book.