Automatically Generate Certificate (without user viewing it)

Automatically Generate Certificate (without user viewing it)

by Ayo Pedracio -
Number of replies: 6
Would like to know if this is possible. Can moodle generate a certificate after user completes an activity withouttheuser having to click on the certificate link on the course page (and without the user having to tick the box - if manually setting it as "completed")? 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ayo Pedracio

Re: Automatically Generate Certificate (without user viewing it)

by Massimo Scali -

We have the same need: when the users complete an activity, either SCORM or of other type, we'd like to issue the certificate immediately, without the user being requested to click on the certificate link.

I suppose the more general feature is to start an activity automatically when the previous one is done.

Is this possible in someway?

Kind regards

Massimo

In reply to Massimo Scali

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I've often thought about adding a feature to the SCORM activity that changes the behaviour when a SCORM package is closed/finished. At the moment if using the new window option it returns the user to the course homepage - I can see how it would be useful under a range of circumstances to allow the return url to be configured - either to something like another activity or to the users my moodle page or even another course. I'd be open to reviewing a patch that facilitated this but couldn't dedicate any time to work on it unless someone funded the work smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Massimo Scali -

We are software developers and we could evaluate to contribute to the development. Can you share the code of the patch?

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

I like Dan's proposed concept for a patch.   Simplier and fewer system resources.  Drawback is that you have to use SCROM activity.

I had two ideas yesterday.  One was similar to Dan's idea that forced the student to view their certificate.

I wondered if a patch could be added to the conditional activities or activity completion settings.  For example, a check  box and a pull down list of activities to select that would send the student there, once the activity was completed by the student. 

My other idea was interesting but probably involved way too much code and system resources. I was thinking of a certificate setting and a cron trigger to  create certificates when students qualified for them but had not created them.

Anything is possible in Moodle. Stumbling blocks are usually all about time, skill and priorities smile 

Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Massimo Scali -

According to me both your ideas are good, Chris.

Maybe the second one, cron based, is better because it do the job behind the scenes: the certificate is there and is sent to the configured recipients, student included, without any extra configuration. Besides it doesn't depend on the preceding activity and thus is suitable for use with activities other than SCORM.

Your first proposal has the nice feature to be applicable to all the activities and thus not limited to issuing certificates. It give the user more control on the next activity to do but needs the user intervention in the activity configuration.

Massimo

In reply to Massimo Scali

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Massimo,

I like the first one because I don't think it is so complicated a coding project.  From the interface side  the URL below forces the user to get view the certificate, if they are qualified.

http://localhost/moodle/mod/certificate/view.php?id=4&action=get

I sort of remember that view.php is the standard way to open up an activity.  Guessing if their is no action=get as a variable in the activity module code, it does not matter.  And if there is, that is probably where we want to send the student. 

I will let you serious developers have at it smile  Time to take my puppy for a long walk in the woods. 

Chris