The concept of Degree/Group of Courses

The concept of Degree/Group of Courses

by Nuno Pinto -
Number of replies: 3

Hello everybody,

A client wants to use moodle as a Student Management System substitute, he has asked if moodle manages to keep track of the courses made by a student and compare it to a list. 

In short, what he want is for us to do is:

• Have a list of courses a student must do in order to attain a Degree;
  • Each Degree takes +3 years to conclude;
  • Each year, a new version of each course is created;
  • When the year starts, there is an indication that he still has some courses to do to finish his degree.

Is there a way to do this?

Am I explaining myself correctly?

Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nuno Pinto

Re: The concept of Degree/Group of Courses

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Then your client is heading for disaster. Moodle is a Learning Management System, NOT a Student Management System and should not be used as such. There are a number of SMS' around that can provide a good base for integration into Moodle, something I would really like to see btw, but they will have to, basically, be re-written to be integrated properly to provide adequate security and ensure maximum compatibility. Big job, for sure but I think a worthwhile one.  

The functionality you are asking for is simple though, but not easily achievable. As long as you have the resources to throw at it to adapt every variation that students will come up with, then it can be done.

What I have thought about in the past is to use Categories, one Category to a Degree. The problem though is the crossover that often occurs between electives. Each Category has a group of core subjects that must be successfully completed for a degree to be awarded, but then what may be a core subject in one degree can also be an elective in another degree. How do you cope with that? You can't, not easily, anyway. 

Versioning your courses is simple, the 2015 courses are duplicated and archived, backed up and stored, however you want to do it. Reset courses, empty of everything, except the course materials, quizzes, all resources, but no previously enrolled students or student data. Simple to achieve with a cron job, I suggest. That is if your client means this about "new versions". However, if they want revamped courses, every year, then again, as long as they have the resources to throw at it, it can be done. 

I am assuming here that your comment "... keep track of the courses made by a student and compare it to a list..." means courses successfully completed by a student and completion tracking is enabled on all courses. Yes, a few settings in the Site Admin controls that. 

The last bit, that you ask for an indicator of courses to be completed, yes, that can be done as part of each Student's Dashboard. Dashboard can display all courses the student is enrolled in, but over a 3+year time period that is likely to be an awfully long list, Also, changes to a student's pathway will render this list invalid, a failure in a subject may also alter the subject list if that topic is a pre-requisite for another subject.  

Good luck explaining all this though.  

In reply to Nuno Pinto

by Just H -

Personally I would say there is still confusion over what Moodle "really" is. Out of the box it certainly is not an SMS and there are valid arguments against it being an LMS as defined (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_management_system).

Regardless of which acronym is used, for your use case I think it worth investing some time in investigating the Remote Learners  ELIS add ons to Moodle (start here for the concepts) it might meet your requirements.

• Have a list of courses a student must do in order to attain a Degree - see ELIS Programs
  • Each Degree takes +3 years to conclude - time frame up to "you
  • Each year, a new version of each course is created - see ELIS Tracks and Class instances
  • When the year starts, there is an indication that he still has some courses to do to finish his degree - see the user reports.

The major issue to think about is longevity. ELIS is similar (in that it adds more business functionality to Moodle) to the TOTARA distribution that has now unfortunately decided to fork from Moodle. What impact that will have on ELIS is yet to be seen.

---

The ELIS plugins can be acquired from github. Start here and see the "Read me" for the rest of the plugins.
The official documentation from Remote Learners can be found here.
In reply to Just H

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I am afraid, Just, that a lot of "definitions" with regard to computer technologies tend towards the fluid. An SMS, for me, has a number of student oriented functions that do not appear in Moodle. On the other hand, the SMS tools I am familiar with do not have much of the functionality that Moodle does, except Blackboard. (If file handling were to be excluded, then I doubt there would be any common functionality.) The Wikipedia article could have been written by the PR dept of BB, as that is the only tool I know that comes close to meeting all those criteria, depending on how one would interpret what the criteria in the terms of definition mean. 

And I should have thought of ELIS myself, yes, a handy set of tools there, quite right.