Preventing "view courses without participation"

Preventing "view courses without participation"

by Dale Davies -
Number of replies: 3
The college's VLE is set up so that all courses by default allow guest access (although guest login is not allowed), it is a requirement that all students be able to view (but not participate) in all courses

I have now been asked if I can prevent certain users site-wide from being able to access any course unless they are enrolled in it, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to do this.

I've attempted to prevent "view courses without participation" and apply this as a system role to those users but it seems to make no difference, they are still able to access courses which allow guest access.

Hoping someone might have an idea?

Many thanks smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dale Davies

Re: Preventing "view courses without participation"

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Why not remove guest access from the courses and then give everyone the capability 'view courses without participation' EXCEPT those you don't want to see courses?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dale Davies -

I think the problem there would be that we also need the option to hide certain courses from users unless they are actually enrolled in them.  Is there a way to do this is everyone has "view courses without participation"?

Ideally we need a method which will achieve the following...

• All courses open to be viewed by default, students only able to participate when enrolled.
  • Courses hidden on a "course by course" basis.
  • Some users don't get to access any courses unless enrolled.

Thanks again smile

In reply to Dale Davies

by Joe Amatrucola -

I've got a nearly identical setup requirement.  We have guest access open on most courses because we want most users to be able to view content in nearly all courses.  We have a small subset of users that aren't supposed to be able to view courses in a particular category.  I put in an override permission for the role that is supposed to be blocked, within the category in question.  The override is:  moodle/course:view  PROHIBIT.  I am sure I had this working before I upgraded the site from 2.6 to 3.0, but now it looks like this override is not having the desired effect.  Users with the role are still able to view courses within the category in question.

I wonder if something changed.