Cohort Sync in Moodle 2.9 and loss of user grades

Re: Cohort Sync in Moodle 2.9 and loss of user grades

by Melanie Scott -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

You may not like this answer but it is the simplest one.  Give him manual enrollment in the course or courses before removing him from the  cohort. 

Also the data may not be gone, just inaccessible.  If, after the fact, you manually re-enrol, before clicking  the enrollment button  on the chooser, at the top, click options  and check the box that talks about restoring grades.  That has always  worked for me. 

In reply to Melanie Scott

by s w -

Thank you for the response. That was very helpful. I tested restoring grades and adding users through manual enrolment and it worked well. My only issue is we would be adding/removing users to cohort programmatically and I have to code for it . Do you know if adding them to groups along with cohorts retain the grade information too? I will test it in sandbox, but was wondering if you had any experience with it..

Appreciate all the help.

In reply to s w

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

My experience with groups is this...if you have someone in a group and you unenroll them, regardless of method, they are removed from the group and the grades disappear.  If you re-enroll them and convince it to restore grades, the group is not reinstated.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by s w -

I saw in cohort documentation that students could be assigned to cohorts through user upload process https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Upload_users and this works great. What we need to do in our organization is programmatically remove user from one cohort and add to another cohort.

For example our cohorts are defined for departments and  if an user changes departments - move from HR department to Accounting department , he will need to be added to all the courses where he was enrolled through cohort sync with HR cohort (to still have his grades available for reporting etc, ) and then need to be added to accounting cohort. Is there an utility to do this or would this be achieved only through sql table inserts/updates.

Thanks