Backup and Restore

Backup and Restore

by Anthony Orme -
Number of replies: 3

Dear all,

I have recently been transferred between schools in the same company but would like to export work from my old school to the new school.  The only trouble is that when I export courses, I find the courses are too large when backed up to be restored at the new course.  Typically the upload limit of the Computing course is 300MB and other courses are 150MB.  Even when trimmed right back there too big.

The Moodle version of my previous school is 2.0 while my new one is 2.6

Any ideas of being able to trim them back to size for importing?

I have set up a dummy moodle size and been able to import one course but when I tried to export it from there into the new then it failed because the version that it was created on was 2.9 and the current version of my school is 2.6.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Kind regards

Anthony

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anthony Orme

Re: Backup and Restore

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Did it actually fail? What was the actual error message? Sometimes it IS possible to restore courses into an older Moodle (not too much older) but you get a warning message before it then proceeds to restore correctly. What did it say?

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Backup and Restore

by Anthony Orme -

Sorry, the post has two issues.  The first part is about trying to export course that have a large file size and how to trim this down.  I have selected the options for just questions and still way too big.  The Moodle I am exporting from is 2.0 and the destination is 2.6

The second part was about me exporting a course that I imported from downloading from CAS website.  I can download it fine but when importing it then says it has issues due to version it was created in is newer than my schools.  Attached are images/

To import I do the following:

1. Course Admin>Restore

2. Import backup file

3. Tried merge to existing course AND ALSO create new course

Then I get the following messages

Attachment Moodle error - import 2.PNG
Attachment Moodle error - import.PNG