Enrollment improvement

Enrollment improvement

by Andrea Gelpi -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I'm new to moodle so be patience if I ask something that can be strange.

I need during enrollment process or soon after it, that same user's data can be seen from the user itself, and that the user can confirm that data. Eventually that data must be exported.

What I need is to send to another program information about who is enrolled to a course with data about him.

At the moment I understand I can save user's data in a modify profile (using custom data).

What I don't know how to do is:

1) Show profile data during Paypal enrollment or soon after it

2) Save this data somewhere (in database I suppose?)

3) Export data to other program

Have I to write a special enrollment plugin to do this or can I use something?

All is for moodle 2.9 and I have complete access (root access) to server where moodle is installed.

Thanks in advance.

-- 

Andrea Gelpi

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrea Gelpi

Re: Enrollment improvement

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Firstly, make sure you are not confusing enrolment with authentication. The plugins and UI that deal with user's profiles really fall under Authentication. This sort of thing is set when you log into Moodle (depending on what authentication method you are using). Then, the user can inspect and edit their own profile at any time. 

Enrolment plugins (like PayPal) are *only* about adding a user to a particular course. They do not deal with any other user information. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Andrea Gelpi -

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the difference between authentication ed enrollment, thanks.

So is not possible for a user to enroll to a course and permit an administrator to export users profile data to another program, during enrollment or soon after it?

In my case users must pay for courses and I need to send data about who is enrolled to a specific course, with data of payment and also data to send him back the invoice. All this data must be sent to another program.

I tried to save all data I need  in user's profile custom data, so user can set them when he wants.

When and where can I use that data?

--

Gelpi Andrea

In reply to Andrea Gelpi

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, what data do you need to export?

Have a look at Bulk_user_actions. That enables you to select users and export their details. 

However, if you want this to happen automatically then you'll need to look at some custom development. It's reasonably straightforward (in theory) to trap the enrolment event in a custom (local) plugin and then export the user's data to some external program (by web service or whatever you require). 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Andrea Gelpi -

>Well, what data do you need to export?

>Have a look at Bulk_user_actions. That enables you to select users and export their details. 

>However, if you want this to happen automatically then you'll need to look at some custom development. It's >reasonably straightforward (in theory) to trap the enrolment event in a custom (local) plugin and then export >the user's data to some external program (by web service or whatever you require).

I had a look to Bulk_user_actions, but is not comfortable in my case, because I need to export data of users that had enrolled to a specific course, not a specific user.

Reading on the documentation and faq, I found that a Grade report can help me in exporting user's data. I need to test this.

However the best for me would be to trap the enrollment event somewhere and then assemble all data I need before export as you suggest me.

Do you know who can help me in this (I'm not a programmer) and how much does it could cost to me?

Another hypothetic solution would be to use the feedback module (soon after enrollment), if I could preload it with profile data. Is it possible?

Thanks,

--

Gelpi Andrea

In reply to Andrea Gelpi

by Howard Miller -

You will need to decide exactly what you need, put together a basic specification for the work and approach a Moodle developer. The Moodle Partners list is a good place to start.