MOODLE on internet

MOODLE on internet

by Ernie Dewitt -
Number of replies: 2

Hello All,

I have developed a MOODLE site with multiple courses on it.  I need to open it up on the internet so employees where I work can log in and take the courses I have posted.

I am using MOODLE 29  with MAMP as my local server.  So my question is how do I get my site onto the internet so Jon on the other side of the state can log in and take the courses?

I also need it in very simple language because I am not extremely computer literate. 

Thanks so much!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ernie Dewitt

Re: MOODLE on internet

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

First things first, do you have some kind of institutional or business operation network backing you? If so, then you need to talk to the network administrators, leave it for them to fix for you. 

If not, then you have a completely different set of problems. Those problems will be eased, or compounded, by where you live, your ISP, how much money you have to throw at the site. If you have a good ISP talk to them and ask them about hosting your Moodle.  If they are unwilling to devote the space to it, then you may be better off buying yourself a Network Attached Storage device, and arranging a fixed ip with your ISP so you can host your own site on your NAS. One advantage here could be to run the site as a virtual private network, which allows you to seriously restrict who actually sees your site, let alone uses it. A cheaper option may be you learn a bit more about constructing and using an Arduino or Raspberry Pi based server farm or cluster, that works.

There is also the option of using a Moodle Partner, which basically means they take care of everything, but what that costs I have no idea. There are also shared servers out there that will host a Moodle, so if you live in Perth. Australia, your Moodle can be hosted on a server in Fort Lauderdale in Florida, who knows? But again, costs may dictate what you can achieve there.   

There are a large number of options and all require a certain level of technical skill, some more than others. While the learning curve may be steep, it is not that steep and there are always people willing to help. If your ISP is not that helpful, then look for someone who is.   

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: MOODLE on internet

by Ernie Dewitt -

Thanks a bunch Colin.  I will check with my companies computer guru and see if he can get me on their site.