Blank screen when Exporting Moodle questions

Blank screen when Exporting Moodle questions

by Anthony Orme -
Number of replies: 12

Hi, 

I have moved schools within the same family and trying to export the quiz questions that I created at my old school to import them at my new school.  I have followed the instructions of exporting (Course Administration>Question Bank>Export).  However I then get face with the following screen:

Error message

I have since tried switching on debugging and I got the attached error message.

Not sure what is going wrong.  I have Site Admin rights but not the person responsible for running the school Moodle.

Kinds regards

Anthony

(Edited by Mary Cooch  to clarify title- original submission Sunday, 4 October 2015, 5:24 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anthony Orme

Re: Blank screen when Exporting Moodle questions

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Anthony and thanks for posting here as suggested.

Anthony contacted me before, and I can say that the Moodle he is trying to export the questions from is a Moodle 2.0 site, very old. Also - in case it happens to be relevant - I found a forum thread with one of the same errors that Anthony got in the text file he has attached, the bit about Cannot redeclare get_course_media_files() - here it is: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=187175#p814931

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Are you able to back up  the course itself with the quiz in it and then restore that course into your new Moodle? Just a thought.

In reply to Anthony Orme

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Here is the error, copied from the attachment:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare get_course_media_files() (previously declared in /home/moodledu/public_html/question/format/qti2/qt_common.php:18) in /home/moodledu/public_html/question/format/qti_two/qt_common.php on line 33

So, the problem is that this Moode site has both question/format/qti2 and question/format/qti_two folders in the code. That should not be the case.

At some point qti2 was renamed to qti_two.

I am guessing, but I suspect what happened is that at some point the site was upgraded by someone who ignored the warning in italics here: https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Upgrading#Standard_install_package - Do NOT copy new files over the old files.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Anthony Orme

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

What is the qti2 question type - I suspect it is an addon and that is causing your problems....you might try exporting smaller chunks of questions and avoid that question type to see if that works..it would get you some answers anyway

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It used to be part of the standard release package, despite not acutally doing very much. It was removed quite a long time ago. (Moodle 2.x for some small x.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Anthony Orme -

I have tried to backup the course but the course is 400MB which is too big for my new schools Moodle.  I have set up a dummy Moodle using https://moodlecloud.com/en/ and although I have been able to upload a course I downloaded for Scratch, the one from my previous school is too large.  When I trimmed it down to just the quizzes then it was just over 300MB still too large for either the MoodleCloud or my current school.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Anthony

In reply to Anthony Orme

by Mary Cooch -

Ah yes - MoodleCloud is too small for a 400 or even 300 MB course restore, sorry (although it will still be useful to you for playing around and exploring Moodle) However I do struggle to see how just quizzes can make up such a large sized course - I wonder if, since it is a 1.9 site upgraded to 2.0, if the course contains lot of extra files you can't see or didn't know about (as 1.9  backups used to do) Either that or do your quizzes contain lots of videos or other media?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Anthony Orme -

Quizzes are predominately text based questions with some images.  But there are not enough to bump the file size to 300MB.  No videos on the questions.

In reply to Anthony Orme

by Mary Cooch -

Can you export and import just the questions into a new blank course on the same Moodle (the original 2.0 Moodle, even though you dont work there any more?) And then try to restore that new course? It seems to me the backup, being on an ancient Moodle 2.0 might be bringing with it extra stuff you don't need.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Anthony Orme -
My previous Head of Department never wanted anyone to create courses so had to be as discrete as possible where I put the course.  I had it backed up already and then imported it to the new course.  I then backed up the new course and it was 2MB.  I then imported it straight to my new school with no difficulty.

Thanks for this.

I have now deleted the dummy course before anyone  notices

Regards

Anthony

In reply to Anthony Orme

by Mary Cooch -

Great!

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Anthony Orme -

Now I just need to work out how to get files from the file structure from moodlecloud as they are linked to the moodle from a hyperlink on a webpage