Text editors

"A draft version of this text was automatically restored" Huh?

This discussion has been locked because a year has elapsed since the last post. Please start a new discussion topic.
Picture of Howard Miller
"A draft version of this text was automatically restored" Huh?
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

One of my users has been creating a quiz but every time they move to a new question the question text is filled with the text from the previous question along with "A draft version of this text was automatically restored".

I understand this is some function of the editor. I've never seen it personally.

Anyway, can anybody explain to me how this is supposed to work and any idea why it might be triggering spuriously?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Daniel Thies
Re: "A draft version of this text was automatically restored" Huh?
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

The autosave is a feature of Atto that I believe was added in 2.8. It saves a draft copy based on context after the interval defined in the settings. If the browser window is closed prematurely, this copy is reloaded in the next page the user opens with the same context.  If the page is saved or cancelled with a button at the page bottom, the draft copies for that context are deleted so that there is a blank editor the next time.

I have not notice the problem with editing questions, but I suspect that it is because the user  instead of saving is using the button "Save and continue editing" then checks the preview, and closes the window instead of saving the question again. This may also be a new feature. I just noticed it recently.

You might encourage the save with the other button. Otherwise, a unwanted draft file can be removed from the editor with ctl-z or the undo button.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Howard Miller
Group Core developersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

This is actually a really experienced Moodle user who reported this. Of course, that may mean a user who knows all the "shortcuts"

Picture of Daniel Thies
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

One "short cut" I can imagine is doing this.

1. Set new browser tabs to open in back.
  2. Fill out first question form.
  3. Alt Enter to create a new form in new tab.
  4. Click save and Ctl W to close old tab.

This "short cut" would avoid some navigation, but technically Atto would probably be doing the right thing in reloading the draft. You probably may need to ask you client exactly what he is doing to figure this out.

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary

Atto's auto-save is turned off for essay questions because the quiz does it's own autosave. (You can search for 'autosave' in question/type/essay/renderer.php.) Therefore, what you are seeing makes not sense to me. If you can work out what is going on, please let us know.

Picture of Howard Miller

They're multiple choice questions, not essay. It's the teacher creating the quiz. When they complete one question and move to the next (new one) the question text is "pre-filled" with the text from the one they just completed. I would blame the browser if it wasn't for that message. 

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary