My (teacher) assessment text disappeared after completing Assessment phase

My (teacher) assessment text disappeared after completing Assessment phase

by Ross Conkey -
Number of replies: 5

I had a workshop set up for my class where students uploaded their assignments. After downloading them, I used the assessment section to write my comments on their assignment. I saved and exited and at that point had not yet transitioned the workshop to "Grading Evaluation Phase." 

Clicking then on each of the submissions showed me both their assignment and my comments.

Once I realized I needed to transition to the next phase, and even the next ("Closed"), for the students to see my comments, I did so.

However, the students complained that still, they could not see my comments. So, I looked into it. And now, when clicking on any of the submissions, the students' assignments are there, but my assessment comments have disappeared. (Instead, the section reads, "Not assessed yet.")

To double-check that I had indeed saved my assessments after writing them, I checked the logs. Sure enough, there were two actions for each submission: (1) "Submission Viewed" and (2) "Submission Assessed".

Is there any way to retrieve my lost assessments?

Thanks for your help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ross Conkey

Re: My (teacher) assessment text disappeared after completing Assessment phase

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

AFAIK, the assessments made should still be in the database, unless something has gone wrong when writing back is supposed to have occurred, Is it possible that for some reason, the assessments have been moved? Ask your administrators, assuming you cannot do this yourself, to have a look in the database for the mdl_workshop_assessments or mdl_workshop_assessments_old tables. The fields specifically are likely the mdl_workshop_assessments.feedbackauthor or mdl_workshop_assessments.feedbackreviewer or 

mdl_workshop_assessments_old.teachercomment or mdl_workshop_assessments_old.generalcomment 

If they are recoverable, then they should be in those fields I would expect. 

In reply to Ross Conkey

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hmm, that's weird. What Moodle version is it? What grading strategy do you have set? And can you remember where did you post your comments? What happens if you move back to the Assessment phase and click "Assess submission" again.

I don't think that mdl_workshop_*_old tables could be useful as those hold eventual data from Workshop 1.x versions, before the upgrade to Moodle 2.0 had happened.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Ross Conkey -

Thank's David Mudrák for your response. It was a relief to find that the assessments I had written were available once I switched BACk to the "Assessment Phase." 

If that's the case, why aren't the assessments retained in the next phase?

Also, thanks to Colin Fraser for your input. Greatly appreciated.

In reply to Ross Conkey

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Are you actually enrolled in the course? Is there a chance you just have the assessment permissions obtained other way (such as by being the site admin, or by inheritance from an upper context)?

In reply to David Mudrák

by Ross Conkey -

I am enrolled and have the role of "Teacher"