GIFT export - Select Missing Words

GIFT export - Select Missing Words

by Mark Melia -
Number of replies: 5
Hi there,

I am trying to export questions from a quiz in M2.7. This includes a number of 'Select Missing Words' questions https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?id=231. When the questions are exported into GIFT format but this type of question is not exported. Is this a bug or is the question export just not done in this question type?

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Melia

Re: GIFT export - Select Missing Words

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Not all question types support GIFT. This is one.

The first thing that would be needed is for someone to invent how these questions would look in GIFT format. That needs to be done so that there is no possible confusing between the GIFT for all the existing question types.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It would be hard to invent a format where there was no possible confusion between Missing Words and other question types. However it would not be hard to come up with a new import/export filter that worked only on Missing Words questions and had a similar syntax to Gift.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I feel the urge to manually grade this response:

2/10 must try harder

wink

I don't think we should give up on the idea (but I am not in the mood to think about it myself right now).
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I have been very busily thinking of something v e r y similar all week .... . You could add a method called

function import_from_gift($lines, $question, $format, $extra=null) {     

With code similar to the awesome* Gordon Bateson has used in his added to his code at

https://github.com/gbateson/moodle-qtype_ordering/blob/master/questiontype.php

Or you could create an entirely new import filter. I am not sure what the attraction of exporting to the Gift format is, though I understand the attraction of bulk creating questions in an editor for import.

*(I met him in real life recently, he is awsome in person as well as in code)