Quiz Module Feedback and gradebook

Quiz Module Feedback and gradebook

by Sumanta Ghosh -
Number of replies: 5

Probably this has been discussed earlier as this seems like an everyday day issue unless I am missing something huge. So feel free to point me to another thread in such a scenario. I tried googling but didn't find anything.

Just wondering why Quiz module feedbacks acts differently than Assignment module. I mean, students would receive a submission confirmation mail in both modules but they do receive a graded / feedback received email only in Assignment module and not in Quiz module. This creates a lot of confusion among educators and students as we use both modules in our courses. Is there any particular reason behind this?

Have also noticed that the feedback given on a quiz doesn't appear on the gradebook either, like it does for Assignments. Same query is applicable in this regard as well.

I am expecting some major reason behind this differentiation instead of someone calling the shots generalising everyone's usage and requirements. I could totally be missing something big here which I would need to fix at our end. So constructive guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sumanta

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sumanta Ghosh

Re: Quiz Module Feedback and gradebook

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

No real reason.

The two modules were implemented at different times by different people, who had different requirements.

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Sumanta,

Sorry, I can only partly answer your post. If you want to let your students know when you are done with grading a quiz, you can set up an event monitoring rule (Moodle 2.8 and higher) in Site administration > Reports > Event monitoring rules (see attachment). You also need to change the permission for the student role so that they can subscribe to this rule by going to 'Preferences' in the drop down menu under their name. Then they need to scroll down to 'Event monitoring' and subscribe to the rule.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Sumanta Ghosh -

Hi Hartmut,

Thanks a lot for this tip. it does work. 

I wish there was a way to force this to all students instead of asking them to activate this.

It's working now but sending 4 emails instead of one. Is it due to my selection of Notification threshold of 1 in 10 minutes? 

Regards,

Sumanta

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Sumanta,

Can you please check which event you selected? For example: If you select 'Question manually graded,' then students will receive a notification for every manually graded question.

I selected 'Quiz attempt reviewed.' When students subscribe to this question, they will receive one email notification after I have graded all essay questions.

I tried to figure out where event subscriptions  are saved in phpMyAdmin, but I couldn't see it. At times it would be nice at least for the Site Admin to be able to auto subscribe users to a certain event. 

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Sumanta Ghosh -

Hi Hartmut,

I think you are absolutely right. Just changed the event and now waiting for our cron to run automatically. I don't want to run it manually to trigger the event. 

Yes you are right the admin should be able to subscribe everyone to a certain event and they should be able to control which even is visible to students and others. I think these two are basic requirements for a such a powerful tool.

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate the a effort.

Thanks,

Sumanta