Help me understand course level permissions (and why they don't appear to have any effect)

Help me understand course level permissions (and why they don't appear to have any effect)

by Roland Sherwood -
Number of replies: 0

Hi,

I'm try to make it possible for teachers in certain courses to upload files which are larger than the course upload file size limit.

Please note that I don't want to enable the course:ignorefilesizelimits capability within our site's standard Teacher role, as this will obviously make it possible for *all* teachers across the site to take advantage of this capability. So, I thought the easiest way to manage this would be to assign the course:ignorefilesizelimits capability to the teacher role at the course level itself via Course administration > Users > Permissions.

However, after having added the Teacher role as described, nothing actually changes. Teachers within the module in question still can't upload files larger than the course upload file size limit. I must admit that I haven't had occasion to use course level permissions much in the past, so I'm unsure if I'm missing something obvious here... Interestingly, when I add the Teacher role to another, separate capability within Course administration > Users > Permissions e.g. add a block that otherwise only Administrator and Manager users can add, this also doesn't have any effect.

Consequently, I'm really scratching my head here. Do course level permissions require some other settings to be configured also?

Any help would be very gratefully received!

Btw, all this is under Moodle 2.8.7.

Average of ratings: -