Amount of messages visible on a forum

Amount of messages visible on a forum

by Hannah Hutton -
Number of replies: 6

Hello, I'm using the Site News forum on my home page but it only displays 10 messages.  When editing in Front Page Settings the maximum it will give me is 10 messages but I'd like it to be 20.  How do I do this?

Thanks for any help!

Hannah

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hannah Hutton

Re: Amount of messages visible on a forum

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello. I've an idea you can only do this by changing the number in the actual code on the server (which, if you have access to the server should be OK) I'm sorry I don't know more but hopefully replying to this post might highlight it for someone who does wink

Just as an afterthought, are you sure you actually want your front page to show 20 forum posts as it could make it quite long? The older ones are always replaced by newer ones which might be more relevant and perhaps the older ones might get out of date?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Hannah Hutton -

Thanks Mary, my helpdesk have come back and told me they'll have to change something in Moodle code so not something I can do.

I know 20 sounds a lot, but they are usually short messages, and we set them by time always so they are never out of date!

Hannah

by Hannah Hutton -

Apparently they've fixed it for me now!

by Hannah Hutton -

Noooooooo, they haven't been able to fix it........!!  Does anyone have any other ideas about how to change the default amount of news item??  It must be such a simple thing to change somewhere in the code, but I don't know how to do it.  I don't know why they decide the default amount is 10 messages but if there is this restriction, surely there must be a way to change it?  Please can someone help?

Thanks
Hannah

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Can you first ask them exactly what they did to fix it that didn't fix it?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Hannah Hutton -

They thought they'd found instructions on how to reset this to 20, but they were for Moodle 1 and it doesn't seem to work in the version I'm using (2.7 I think).  They haven't been able to find any help about this online either.  I wish Moodle wasn't so restrictive....!