Hardware specs for moodle

Hardware specs for moodle

by M Khalid Zaini -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I have been gathering info from various sources including moodle forum on hardware spec. Most suggest to have load balancing, clustering, etc. But as the budget doesnt permits plus lack of technical expertise, we are going for a single box (1 server for moodle data and database). At the moment our moodle site is hosted on a third party hosting. Our school is planning to host the moodle using our own server as the number of users are growing. Current provider has resource restrictions so when we hit the resource limit, the site at times become unavailable.

I have a little experience in server environment. If anyone can suggest the spec (including OS, web server, etc) we should go for, that will be great.

Our moodle usage so far:

1. uploading/downloading teaching materials

2. submit assignment

3. quizzes

4. forum

We have about 1000+ users and expected to grow to at least max 3000. Concurrent users are roughly between 100-200 users.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to M Khalid Zaini

Re: Hardware specs for moodle

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Khalid, I wonder where  you have been asking questions and reading answers to be recommended a LB solution for this many users. If you expecting thousand plus concurrent, then a load balanced scenario can be thought of, but with 200-300 concurrent you definitely don't need a load balancer.

for your requirements, a VPS with a hosting provider will as well suffice, but as you mentioned putting all together in house, then an E3 class XEON, 12GB RAM (minimum), and if your data isn't much, then put all together on SSD, else at least put database on a separate drive and nothing could be better than SSD for database as its database I/O's that hammers moodle installation hard.

In reply to Usman Asar

by M Khalid Zaini -
Thanks for the prompt reply Usman Asar. I might have missed or overlooked some forum threads.. but mostly i encounter those kind of suggestions i.e. having multiple servers - which is not possible due to budget and lack of technical expertise.

With your suggestion, i think i can come up with something.  Many thanks.
In reply to Usman Asar

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Same as Usman. Could you provide us your sources and the Moodle forum you mentioned?

Yes, the Hardware and performance https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=596 is the correct form. Its documentation are linked to its header. (unfortunately) How to make use of that information appear only when you start a new discussion https://moodle.org/mod/forum/post.php?forum=94 (and then vanish).