Blackboard 6.1 to Moodle 1.4+ Content Conversion Tool

Blackboard 6.1 to Moodle 1.4+ Content Conversion Tool

by Dina Volodarskaya -
Number of replies: 49

It might be a bit too late, since the current version of Moodle is no longer 1.4+, but I thought I'd post the tool anyway It was developed as a Master's Project at SFSU. It transfers announcements, documents (items, external links, assignments), quizzes, surveys, and gradebook. You can watch a demo at http://130.212.37.46/ctt/ctt_demo/ctt_demo.html (be sure to turn ON the sound).  To download the tool, go to http://130.212.37.46/ctt/bb_to_md.zip. bb_to_md.zip contains the source code, a PPT presentation (ms_talk.ppt), which might answer a lot of your questions, a technical report, ms_report.doc, which contains a detailed description of the project, etc. Oh, take a look at docs/README/README.html if you think you want to install the tool.

Please note that the tool might require more testing before use.

Dina

P.S.1  I bet it is possible to upgrade the tool to perform transfers between BB 6.1 and Moodle 1.5.  If the overall structure of the Moodle backup archive stayed the same, then the fix should be done in the XSL files.

P.S.2  Let me know if you are interested in trying out the tool online. I can try to set it up on-line.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dina Volodarskaya

Re: Blackboard 6.1 to Moodle 1.4+ Content Conversion Tool

by Jeff Graham -
hi Dina,

I tried installing and setting the importer up... great documentation. Very clear and concise.

I did notice one (minor) problem when creating a course from the restore file, and this is arguably a bug with the course weekly format. The course format assumes that there is a section 0 which is not created by the backup using your importer. As a result I get the following (with warnings turned on) when viewing the newly restored course;
Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /Users/jgraham/Sites/moodle/course/format/topics/format.php on line 93

The offending line(s) are the following
/// Print Section 0

$section = 0;
    $thissection = $sections[$section];   // this line 93 in my format.php

the format.php I have on a local install here is;
format.php,v 1.47.2.1 2005/06/11 18:23:28 moodler

regards,
Jeff
In reply to Jeff Graham

by Jeff Graham -
Hi Dina,

We here at HSU would definitely be interested in contributing and modifying some code, however you have released the code under the "Open Content" license, and by part 2,a of the license which states:
a) You must cause the modified content to carry prominent notices stating that you changed it, the exact nature and content of the changes, and the date of any change.
We don't have the time or resources to meet the requirements of this clause of the license; as it would require taking copious notes about every change, and documenting the exact nature and content of the changes as well as the date of the changes. This is just too cumbersome of a requirement.

Additionally there is no clear distinction where your "Hard License" (Open Content) and where your "Soft License" (MIT License) apply.

If you resonsider your licensing terms we would be interested in helping contribute some code modifications and extending the importer to import question types that do not import directly into moodle, check out the bb6 quiz pool importer, and the "rendered match" and "essay" question types for further information on this.

Relevant links:
BB6 quiz pool importer: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=26108
rendered match qtype: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=23978
essay question type is in CVS head currently

regards,
Jeff
In reply to Jeff Graham

by Dina Volodarskaya -
Hi Jeff, let me find out about your license question ...

"Hard" license applies to the report/documentation, "soft" - to the source code.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

Dina

by Jeff Graham -
Dina,

Your clarification and rereading the licenses indicates that "to be distributed with" means "applies to" which clears up my concerns. I would suggest modifying the license wording at the top to make this more explicit since you have included the code and research documents together. I know this may be a minor quibble, but I just want to make sure that if we do decide to modify/edit the code that we are following the appropriate licensing terms.

Thanks for clarifying.

regards,
Jeff
In reply to Jeff Graham

by Dina Volodarskaya -
Jeff, I think you can include notices (i.e. general description of what you are doing) only when you make big changes.  I guess something like a README file or comments in the code will work.  It might be helpful to other developers or even you in a couple of months. ;)  Definitely no need for essays.  Is this Ok with you?

Dina     

by Ezequiel Lares -
Hey dina -

I was put to fix some of very few errors in your amazing CTT program and frankly im going to be honest.... I'm new to the job here at HSU and this is my 2nd year in Computer Science, and they gave me some errors to correct, but i don't know how to approach them, or even how to fix them.... too much is going on in your code, that with my little bit of programming skills that i have.... i don't know anything.  I don't know who to ask, im afraid because i don't want my boss to think that i don't know anything... but yeah enough of me... so here are the problems.... can you please help me sad my email address is mr.lares@gmail.com

Formatting of Resources messed up

Links transfer as resources

Resources that are contained within a single topic
area don't transfer

by Jeremy Nash -
Hi Dina,

Has anyone accomplished changing the tool to convert to moodle 1.5?  Just wondering if it has already been done before I start stumbling through it myslef smile.

Thanks,
Jeremy
In reply to Jeremy Nash

by Peter Campbell -
Does this tool work for Bb 6.2 and Moodle 1.5?

Thanks.

Peter

--
Peter Campbell
Montclair State University
In reply to Peter Campbell

by Daniel Tyger -
I, too am VERY interested in this exact scenario. We will begin testing the program Monday...
In reply to Jeremy Nash

by Worth Bishop -

FYI - We have been successful importing Blackboard 6.x "export" files directly into Moodle 1.52+ and 1.53. We find it works best to first create a course, then overwrite it, rather than trying to create a new course on import.

Note that BB "export" files are different than BB "archive" files. We hit snags trying to import "archive" files and so used "export" files instead. One could probably tweak an import tool to handle them, but we chose the path of least resistance.

FWIW, we have also found that there's a good bit of cosmetic, layout and re-linking massage to be done after the BB courses are in Moodle. We'd like to hear from anyone who has found a way around that...

WB

In reply to Worth Bishop

by Dina Volodarskaya -
Worth, if I am understanding correctly, you've been using my tool, is that right?  If so, you are absolutley right about using export rather than archive files.

Dina

by Worth Bishop -

Dina, if we are using your tool, we're not conscious of it. 

My understanding was that the BB import capability was built in to Moodle 1.5 and subsequent releases (it may have been your tool or your code that was incorporated into 1.5 et al., but I couldn't say.)

I'll confess I haven't tried your tool in any stand-alone conversion exercise - we were already well into 1.5, were making progress importing BB courses, and just didn't take the time to experiment as we weren't sure whether your tool was designed for "Moodle release 1.4+" or "Moodle release 1.4+ and subsequent releases."

Can I ask whether you know if your tool handles the conversion differently than 1.5? Right now, after an import we find ourselves with skads of generically named folders (a la: res0001, res0072, etc) in the course files directory. Sometimes embedded links disappear from some resources, quizzes don't come over, image links are broken - it's pretty rough, frankly, and requires a good bit of hand-tuning to get a course ready for public consumption again. 

I'm wondering whether you have a similar or better experience with your tool?

Thanks,

Worth

In reply to Worth Bishop

by Dina Volodarskaya -
Looks like you are not using my tool, because the CTT is a stand-alone application, not incorporated with Moodle.  It was tested with Moodle 1.4.x only. 

The CTT also has "res0001"-type folder naming, because that's how files are kept in Blackboard.  In terms of resources, quizzes, etc.  I did the best I could to transfer all of them.  During testing transfered resources worked without problems; however, I would image that problems may arise in real life that would require some tuning.

Dina
In reply to Worth Bishop

by Duane Hellums -
Worth,

Could you please share the procedure with us?  I've tried IMS import, SCORM/AICC import, creating a course and then importing, creating it during import, etc.  The manifest and course structure suck in fine, but all I get for links is what appears to be the overridingly common and infuriating error message:

"Sorry, the requested file could not be found"

I see hundreds of people's posts of this problem, but have not run into ONE solution anywhere.  It really seems to be reproducible, so I don't know why it can't be researched and resolved by the thousands of people maintaining and developing Moodle.  I do not plan to ever run a course through any third party "cleaner" or "scrubber" program--either Moodle supports import of Blackboard export courses, or it doesn't, period.

Like you, we're using Blackboard 6.x, but have Moodle 1.6.  I have a pretty straightforward Linux+Apache+MySQL+PHP compiled architecture.  Is there some special module specifically targeted at BB6 that I need to install or compile in somewhere?  XML?  Does the .zip file need to be expanded prior to the import?  Do some files need to be renamed?  What are the tweaks?  Someone says it's related to a uuencode filename issue.  Others point to XML extensions in PHP (if it imports the IMS manifest, I'm thinking I'm good to go there. 

Why we have to hack the heck out of a standard file format to get it to work in a production quality LMS/VLE I'll never understand...  Why did it seem so easy with 1.4, but it like pulling teeth to get it to work in 1.6?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller??  McFly?

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.  I and hundreds others are standing by.

Thanks,
Duane
In reply to Jeremy Nash

by Dina Volodarskaya -
Hi Jeremy, sorry for the late reply, I've just got back from my travels. 

I think it's been tried (not by me); however, there were issues.  I believe it's fixable, but requires a bit of work.

Dina
In reply to Jeremy Nash

by Bob Puffer -
The Blackboard to Moodle converter that is incorporated into Moodle is a joint development of Luther College and The Linuxbox.  It's purpose for us (Luther College) was fullfilled once we made it through an entire year of conversions.  Certainly there will be some stragglers, but all-in-all, we pretty much completed our portion of the work on it.  I understand there are many scenarios under which it doesn't operate to the user's satisfaction and would invite any interested parties to carry the development banner forward.  Alternatively, The Linuxbox is a for-profit enterprise very knowledgeable regarding Moodle and very, very knowledgeable regarding this adaptation and I'm certain they would willingly engage in requested modifications on a reasonable-fee basis.  They can be reached at http://linuxbox.com.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by shalin patel -
Hi.
  I am working on conversion of bb 6.2 course to moodle 1.5.2. i have gone through almost all export utility code in moodle 1.5.2.
I have also analyzed the .xsl file and trying to find compatibilityof its elements with blackboard exported xml files and resourses.

I would like to join with the anyone who is working on bb 6.2 to moodle 1.5 conversion. I would be thankful if anyone help me on this complex module of module. I can also work on bug fixes of this tool.
 So, please let me know if anyone is working on it.

Shalin.
In reply to Jeff Graham

by muthu poonuramakalanjiam -

hi,

if i convert bbfile(mycoursename.zip) to moodle...when i click "uploadexportbutton" int the index page i am getting the error like "Export file "res00153.zip" is incorrect, empty, or corrupt.Please verify your export file and start over. " 

what is the problem???????

i appreciate your response.......

by Kyle Brown -
hello all. having some trouble with the tool. i put the info in for the first page and then i clicked the button and it comes up saying:

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404

Apache/2.0.54 (Mandriva Linux/PREFORK-13mdk)

any ideas?

In reply to Kyle Brown

by Michael Penney -

One thing to check make sure that there are no '/'s, '' or other special chars in your Blackboard course's name.

Are you using the converter on SF State's site? They have a file size upload limit, also, you may get an error if your BB course is too large.

In reply to Michael Penney

by Kyle Brown -
i am using the one that was on the first post. is there an updated verison cause i didn't see one in here?

by shalin patel -
Hi.
  I am working on testing of conversion tools (both dina's tool "CTT" and moodle1.5.2 inbuilt tool). I have to decide weather i should go for CTT or inbuilt moodle 1.5.2 tool for further development and bug fixes.
  For some courses of blackboard 6.2  both tools are not working properly.
Inbuilt tool is unable to import quizes and discussion board of blackboard 6.2, assignments. Or both tool works partially with logical errors.

I have following question.
  can anyone tell me weather "CTT" is compitable with blackboard 6.2 and    moodle 1.5+
                                  or
 which tool will be more appropriate for blackboard 6.2 and    moodle 1.5+? "CTT" or "moodle 1.5+ built in tool"?

Shalin.
In reply to shalin patel

by Peter Campbell -
How do you import data from the Bb .zip export file into Moodle?

by Kyle Brown -
hey, i followed the read me and i did what it said, but i am missing a file. setupFrame.html and it is something i need. can someone e-mail it to me. kbrown.it@gmail.com thank you.
In reply to Kyle Brown

by Eric Spreher -

I am also getting the same error (The requested resource (/ctt/setupFrame.html) is not available). This occurs after completing the first step of the migration process. Is there something I am doing wrong or a permission I have missed?

I have installed tomcat 5.5 on Windows 2003 Server. I am also using the lastest version of java (1.5 I think). The installation processed seemed to go smoothly, without any problems.

ANY advise or suggestions is appreciated. Thank you all for your help in advance.

In reply to Kyle Brown

by Eric Spreher -

Ok... I figured out my problem. When I installed the conversion tool, I extracted it into the subfolder CTT in the webapps (root) directory. (That was a big no no) As the directions already state, you must install it in the webapps directory and NOT in a subfolder.

Maybe I should take a class in learning how to follow directions properly. sad

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Where is Blackboard 6.1 to Moodle 1.4+ Content Conversion Tool

by Lane Grann-Stahl -
We're interested, too.  I just want to lurk and keep informed about this conversion tool.

In reply to Deleted user

In reply to Deleted user

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi James, at the beginning of this discussion thread there is a DEMO link of Dina's tool, hope this helps:
http://130.212.37.46/ctt/ctt_demo/ctt_demo.html
It seems that Dina's tool usually convert quizzes better than the Moodle build-in BB conversion tool. We are doing a lot of testing of these two conversion tools right now, but at the same time would love to know whether there is a big interest of this conversion tool or not so that we could prioritize our project priority...
In reply to Deleted user

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi James, have you tried to create a empty course on Moodle 1.5.2+ first, and then import the Blackboard 6.x "export" files to overwrite it, rather than trying to create a new course on import?? As Worth Bishop pointed out in this thread (dated 19 Dec 2005), usually it would work better this way.

For Dina's tool you could try this: http://130.212.37.46/ctt/

We are currently testing both Dina's conversion tool and the Moodle build-in BB conversion tool to create a side-by-side table comparison, then decide which one we will pick up for further refinement and improvement. Will keep everyone here in this thread updated.

In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

In reply to Deleted user

by andrzej marczewski -
Hi, I am gettign the exact same problem.  I run the tool, get my export xml.
Now what.  DO i need to add this file to my blackboard archive then try to restore it?  If i try that or just restoring the ctt export, i get a great layout, but no content!!
Please help!!
In reply to andrzej marczewski

by andrzej marczewski -
Solved (ish)
It appears the blackboard 6.3 encodes file names using a hexadacimal format.
But in the xml it puts the real file name, so moodle reads in the proper name, but the file has this encoded version.
I have written a small vb.net app that can take 1 or a group of bb exports and convert the file names back to real names.
It is in early stages, but works well.
If you are interested email me at daverage[at]gmail[dot]com
There is a problem with embeded files from a web address.  The blackboard export does not include the url, just the file name!!!

by Mixalis Mpounias -
Hi Dina,

I'm a student from Thessaloniki, Greece. In our institution we use Blackboard Learning System ML. The problem is that I there is no export tool in this version and I cannot test your tool. Is it possible for you to attach an example export file of yours Blackboard 6.1 to help me do a migration test with your tool?

Thanks in advance,

Mixalis.

P.S. Also if anyone else can post an example export file that works with Dina's tool I would be more than grateful to him.

by Wen Hao Chuang -
By the way this tool is now improved in many ways and is now available at:

http://welearn.sfsu.edu/ctt/index.html
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

by Guillermo Casas -
Hi all
Where i found this tool to download ?
Tks
In reply to Guillermo Casas

by Richard Karel -

Some additional functionality seems to come with the LSU conversion tool (not knocking the SFSU tool) but when converting simple course structure from Bb v 8 to Moodle v1.9.2 this tool worked better. Probably because of "work that Louisiana State University has done to make a Blackboard 6.3 to Moodle 1.8 Content Transfer Tool that works on the most recent version of
Tomcat (6.0) and Java" (http://iss-tech.humboldt.edu/mellon/ctt/). It can be found at:

http://moodleconverter.lsu.edu/

In reply to Richard Karel

by Robert Russo -
The LSU system was designed to convert 6.3 to 1.8+. Some people have had luck with bb7 and bb8, but we don't have enough archives to improve this functionality yet.

We (LSU) are planning on building a converter for bb5.5, bb6, bb7, and bb8 for the world to use, but we need your help.

We need as many bb7 and bb8 course archives (no Personally Identifiable Information please) as we can get. If we don't get enough varied archives, we can't write the input plugins. We are planning to make the system pluggable, so you can write your own input plugins as well.

We have several thousand bb6 archives and bb5.5 archives and have converted almost 2000 courses from bb6.3 to Moodle 1.9 that are in use today in Moodle.

This new converter will be done sometime around the February timeframe.

Please email me if you would like to help out.
In reply to Robert Russo

by Guillermo Casas -
LSU conversion tool is greate, but, some people have questions about the content upload on the system.

by Robert Russo -
What questions do you have?

by raj b -
Hi thanks for the link the lsu moodleconverter tools is great. i was jus wondering if it would be possible to download this tool?
In reply to raj b

by Robert Russo -
Just send me an email and I'll get you the latest war file and all the source.
In reply to Robert Russo

by Karla Bright -

Hi Robert and All,

We are very new to Moodle, but so far we like what we have seen.  We are actually a WebCT(4.1) school.  We have used the WebCT CE4 import module with some success, but the import module won't bring in the quizzes at all.  

Does the tool you all have been discussing strictly work with Blackboard or has it been used at all with some WebCT course exports?  

Thanks,
Karla

In reply to Robert Russo

by Sicco Rood -

Hi Robert and others,

We are a Bb 8 customer, getting ready to pilot some of our faculty on Moodle. Since you have converted a lot of Bb courses, what have you found most challenging in the conversion, for example in converting faculty over? We of course want to make the switch as painless as possible for faculty, for example by initially making the interface similar as Blackboard. What worked for you?

Sicco

In reply to Sicco Rood

by Robert Russo -
What we learned:
  • Faculty do not like change initially
  • It will be a difficult transition from ANY lms to ANY other LMS -this has nothing to do with Moodle
  • Some faculty will love Moodle
  • Some faculty will hate Moodle initially
  • Eventually, Moodle will be what they are used to and they will feel as comfortable in Moodle as they did in their old system (we had 2)
  • Pick the faculty who are most resistant to change to take part in the pilot, so that you can address their concerns
What worked for us:
  • We dedicated developers and support personnel to solving our faculty's problems
  • We developed a new gradebook to fit the needs of our campus
  • We converted thousands of Blackboard courses to work in Moodle
  • We had a team of support professionals to train and answer questions
  • We reworked SFSU's BB course converter to work with BB 6.3 and Moodle 1.9 and to import test questions
  • We wrote a course converter for our in-house Learning Management System as well
  • We did a phased conversion process
  • We developed a foolproof way to do 1 click course imports.
  • We developed some administrative plugins to make support and administration easier.
  • We are implementing a local installation of Moodle for grade disputes where courses can be accessed for up to 2 years and restored in 1 click
  • We are constantly developing new tools for Moodle to make life easier for our faculty
Conversions:
  • Blackboard does not use valid XML
  • There are some Blackboard archives that are missing files in the zip file, so no amount of conversion magic can get those missing files into Moodle
  • Sometimes courses will not archive in Blackboard at all, this does not go over well
  • Store all Blackboard files with student data encrypted via a strong gpg key to prevent student data from being compromised

by calvin burgamy -
Blackboard to Moodle Conversion

http://its2.unc.edu/tl/tli/bFree/

from the University of North Carolina
bFree - Information & Download

With bFree you can:

• Open a Blackboard™ archive to browse and preview the course materials.
  • Search for words in titles, descriptions, wikis, forums, and file names.
  • Preview content items automatically.
  • Extract selected materials as an independent web site that mimics the original course.
  • Extract selected materials as plain files and folders.

The extracted web site can be put on a web server or even loaded into another online learning system.

Please note that bFree does not yet extract all types of content. It does extract all section and subsection pages, texts, wikis, forums, announcements, group and course uploads, and attached files of all types. Please make sure that your distribution of copyrighted materials conforms to copyright laws and fair use policies.

Additional information is included in the bFree FAQ, available as a downloadable
PDF file.