Try out section menus for 3.0 and give your feedback

Try out section menus for 3.0 and give your feedback

by Dan Poltawski -
Number of replies: 9

In MDL-48947, Matthew Davidson has been working hard on an improvement to move the section editing controls into a menu, consistent with the activity editing controls we have now.

Before landing this into Moodle 3.0, I wanted to open up a prototype of the implementation to get more views from the community on this change. Please give the new menus a try out at:

http://prototype.moodle.net/sectionmenu/

And report back on this thread with your thoughts, thanks!

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Poltawski

Re: Try out section menus for 3.0 and give your feedback

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I'm always hesitant when an improvement adds a click to complete the same operation, but it does remove some of the clutter from the page. I'm neutral on the change, would be be possible to not require the click (expand if you hover over) as an alternate approach?

In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hovering would still need a separate means to access on mobile/touch devices, so clicking is probably easier then

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Nice improvement, thanks.

We shouldn't use "Week menu" and "Topic menu" for the title of the menus. If we insist to emphase the difference between the first section and the others (and between topic and week sections), we should be more precise (and, as a matter of fact, it would be easier to translate), using e.g. "Week section menu" and "Topic section menu".

But IMHO, this difference is NOT essential, and I suggest to simplify and use for all the section menus the same term, "Section menu".

Ciao, Nicolas

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

Like Nicolas i think the word "section" is the most important, and should always appear!

Using only "Section menu" for all or "First section menu", "Week section menu" and "Topic section menu" are two possibilities.

But, unlike Frederic, i really think it's important to have the word "section", to differentiate from ressources/activities!

In 2.9.2, i had teacher using section icones when they should have use ressource/activity menu (to show/hide)...

Séverin
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Agree with Séverin on this, I have found the word "section" is the best most neutral word for this. The word "Topics" is often a technical term used by teachers in schools, as is "Module" to refer to course parts.

by Frederic Nevers -

Thanks for the prototype. Instead of 'Topic menu' or 'Section/Week menu', could we just have 'Edit' so that it is consistent with other items on the page?

Cheers, 

Fred

Average of ratings:Useful (3)

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

I like the change for the sake of the consistency. It's a bit confusing to new users that they have two different ways to edit these, and have to hunt for the typical gear icon for section.

A very useful thing would be to add the ability to edit the section name in place without loading the settings page, just like activities now with the pencil icon to the right of the name. This would be a huge time saver instead of having to load a whole new page just to edit the name or fix a typo.

Average of ratings:Useful (4)

by Chris Wharton -

It does seem unnecessary to click "Section menu" then only get a single option. "Section menu" should just show be an "Edit section" link. I think it would be better to only display the menu if there are multiple options, as in the "Week menu". 

The titles should be more generic too, just "Edit section" instead of "Section menu" and "Week menu".

To be consistent with the module Edit menus, how about:

"Edit"

-> Edit section

-> Hide section

-> Delete section

Not quite related, but how about highlighting the section boundary with a rectangle when clicking the menu, to show the user exactly what area will be changed. This could reduce confusion between editing sections and editing modules.

This already happens when clicking "Edit" for a module.

by Dan Poltawski -

Thank you everyone for your feedback - it seems the overall concept is supported and so well get the issue landed and it can be iterated upon with your suggestions.