Printing/exporting forum discussions

Printing/exporting forum discussions

by sarah wroe -
Number of replies: 13

is there a way of exporting forum discussions to be printed? I dont need to export the posts into a portfolio, I just want to be able to export and save and also print.

thanks

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to sarah wroe

Re: Printing/exporting forum discussions

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Sorry, Sarah, you have to export to portfolio > HTML first. This gives you the forum package to save to your drive. And if you want to print, you will get a pure page without blocks and banners. Our users use this feature and love it.

In reply to William Lu

by sarah wroe -

HI William

thanks for your reply. Can you advise how I enable this feature? I have enabled 'enable portfolio' in the advanced settings for the forum but can't see how to export?

Sarah 

In reply to sarah wroe

by William Lu -

Please see the screenshots of my presentation about Database Activity. The export feature in Moodle is similar in every activity.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to William Lu

by sarah wroe -

Thanks William, this is really helpful.

Can you confirm that student's aren't able to export to portfolio?

Sarah 

In reply to sarah wroe

by William Lu -

The export feature IS for Students to use. Student can export their work to their portfolio, either in a zipped portable file, or upload to a site.

If you want to collect your graduated students' work together, you can simply upload their files into a course.

You may know that you can display a mini 'Site' inside a Moodle course.

Go moodle.

In reply to William Lu

by sarah wroe -

Hi William

thanks for your helpful info. Is there anyway you can stop students being able to use 'export to portfolio' and only allow it for tutor/admin user?

thanks

Sarah 

In reply to sarah wroe

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

You can override the capability to export to portfolios (moodle/portfolio:export) for the student role.

Go to Site Administration>Users>Permissions>Define Roles>Student and untick the 'allow' box.

You can do its Forum level instead, if you'd prefer to override it just for individual forums. Check the Permissions link in the Forum Administration block.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to William Lu

by Kimmoodle Administrator -

Hi William, 

thank you for this information. It is really clear and helpful. There is just one bit I'm unsure of. 

After Step 3, where you have the following instruction: 

Where are these options? I can see the option to Export a Forum Discussion or Post but not the option to export all discussions for a forum. 

Thank you for your time, 

Sue

In reply to Kimmoodle Administrator

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I  think you have to have the override the student role to allow mod/forum:exportdiscussion for students to be able to do this. Teachers can do it by default.

In reply to sarah wroe

by David Greenberg -

Hi Sarah et. al.,

Wondering if you ever figured this out, because I'm still stuck. I can see the links to export a forum post and a thread, but not the entire discussion. I've looked at a lot of threads about this and I've seen the stuff from UMASS, but I don't have an 'Export forum' block and I don't get a link to export an entire forum discussion when I open a forum. If you figured this out, I would love to hear how you did it. Thanks very much.

David

Collaborative for Educational Services

In reply to David Greenberg

by Sharon Strauss -
Picture of Testers

Hi David,

LSU shared this block, or a similar one, which worked for me up Moodle 2.8. However, it is not working with Moodle 3.0. While it looks like they plan to update the block for 3.1, they have not posted an update to their Github (https://github.com/lsuits/export_forum) for some time.

UMASS seems to modify their Moodle source code as explained at https://bitbucket.org/umasslms/umass-moodle-public/commits/a6eb358c9bf70f22d609ec0db04fef77a66b3d53. Longfei Yu shared this link in a different thread on the same topic, https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=281754

I was very happy with the LSU Export_Forum block. However, since I am not inclined to modify the core code, and the LSU tool is not working for me anymore, I'm also looking for a solution to this. Simply using the Portfolio doesn't seem to give me anything useful.

Anyone have a tool that lets you export all the threads in a discussion, without changing the source code?

Thanks.

In reply to Sharon Strauss

by David Greenberg -

Hi Sharon,

I got the code from UMASS and it seems to be working ok for us. We're running 3.0.3.

David