Feedback for coding | mod_forum 3.0 | "Reports"

Re: Feedback for coding | mod_forum 3.0 | "Reports"

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 1

Work flow for using forums.  Some suggested reports.  I have not got time today to refine this and make it a little clearer, but I thought I'd make a start.

I've spelled out a few scenarios, and a few reports to meet the needs.  I'm aware of the problem of scalability.  And anyone who thinks about this a little will see a little of my biases here.

-Derek

Scenario 1

You have 30 students, each who has to post once to a specific standard to get a grade.  You want to just get a feel for how things are going.  Use Report A

===

REPORT A

Who has posted, Who has not.  Who has been graded, Who has not.

Participants List [Dropdown: Everyone, Those posted, Those not posted, Those with a grade, Those without a grade]

Name | Last visit | Number of posts | Grade | Link to posts by name

>

===

Scenario 1 (Cont)

You are catching up on marking.  You have done some marking in the forum, but not all.

You click on the REPORT A [Those without a grade] to show who has not got a grade.  You see there are five students without grades.  For each one you click on the Link to "posts by name" - which shows the posts they have made in the forum - and you grade them.

Subtle point: I'd probably have a scale like Not achieved/Achieved/Merit and use one of the grades to indicate I have seem the post but for some reason it is not a 'pass'

Scenario 2

You want students to post interesting articles they have found in a journalism course.  But sometimes you know the article is there in the forum but cannot find it.

===

REPORT B

Attachments list: Report showing attachments in the forum

Name (Sort by name) | Last access | Attachments (sort by name) | Type (Sort by type)

>

===

Use the 

Scenario 3

You have 47 students.  You require one post in the forum as an assessed task.  Some do 3 or 4 posts.  Ideally you need some sort of way to see who has and has not respondes.

You may like to check to see who has NOT posted and send them a reminder.

Lets say you set up a scale 

• Merit
  • Achieved
  • Not yet achieved

The report could be:

===

REPORT C

Participant list for forum [Dropdown with grades]

Tick box | Name | Last visit | Grade

>

Button email all selected

===

Run REPORT C, select Not Yet achieved, Click "select all" Email all the students.

Scenario 4

You just want to know a few statistics about your Q&A forum

===

REPORT D 

Statistics

Name | Last Visit | # of Posts (Replies) | # of Discussions Started | Total

>

===

Scenario 4

You have 1200 students in a MOOC.  You want to know who has posted and not had a reply.

===

REPORT E

Discussions with no reply

Checklist | Poster | Subject | Link to Post

>

===

Lets say you want to really get into new territory.  We could add a dropdown at the bottom like this

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Feedback for coding | mod_forum 3.0 | "Reports"

by Derek Chirnside -

Frankly, I was disappointed to get so little feedback on this thread.

Maye all the action is over on another related topic, analytics.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=322031

I do not understand how people can teach using forums efficiently without some of the simple reporting.

-Derek