Download Performance ideas/help?

Download Performance ideas/help?

by Jon Vannoy -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I have a 'mini-website' created in our 2.9 Moodle environment.   The total size is of all of the content is about 7mb, but it takes almost 14 minutes for MM2 to download the content.

The 'mini-website' was created using Adobe Captivate HTML5 output, and the problem may be that although it is only 7mb, there are almost 800 small png files that Captivate creates. 

I've tried outputting the content as an IMS package but see no improvement in download speed.

There are no performance issues when accessing the content directly in Moodle, so I assume the issue lies somewhere in how MM2 downloads and caches content.   

When downloading content, does the MM2 app first zip the files and then unzip on the device or does it download files sequentially?

If anyone has some ideas on how I can speed up the download performance I would really appreciate the input.

Thanks for the help!

Jon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Vannoy

Re: Download Performance ideas/help?

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Jon,

thanks for suggesting this.

We are aware of this problem, currently files are downloaded sequentially (one-by-one).

Someone in the team suggested to add support to download the complete resource files via zip and then unzip in the app, this will require changes in Moodle core (allow to zip the complete file area dynamically) changes that are not complex to implement but that can lead to un-expected results (I've seen 1GB resources), so imagine that zipping that it can be a big task for the site.

We will take another look in any case

Regards, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

Re: Download Performance ideas/help?

by Jon Vannoy -

Thanks very much Juan for the quick response and explanation!

I appreciate you taking another look at this option in a future release.

Best regards,

Jon