listing a course in multiple categories

listing a course in multiple categories

by Robert Brenstein -
Number of replies: 41
When I investigated this issue last semester, while I was using Moodle 1.4.5, the answer was that meta courses in 1.5 will be a solution. A new semester is upon us and I just installed version 1.5.2 and played with meta courses. I fail to see how it allows me to have the same course listed in multiple categories. I can possibly have it in multiple meta courses but meta courses seem to be listed in categories just any other courses. Or am I missing something?

What I need is to have a few course categories on the home page, each with a selection of courses:

category 1

course A
course B
course C
course D

category 2

course B
course C

category 3

course A
course E
course F
course G

For example, course A is the same course regardless whether it is under category 1 or 3. Categories are study programs in our case and some courses are offered to more than one student cohort (study program). Of course, in reality we have well over 100 courses, hence we are trying to match moodle course listings with our course catalog.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Brenstein

Re: listing a course in multiple categories

by A. T. Wyatt -
I have wondered about this also.  At our university, many courses are "cross-listed" meaning that they are offered under two different department numbers so that students in different majors might get credit for a course that meets both majors' needs.  So when I list them in Moodle, I will just have to pick one.  Students using self-enroll might have a hard time finding where the course is if they do not know the alternate number.

I will be interested if anyone has a solution!

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Sam Fisher -
A crude solution to this problem, which I use, is to catagorize courses by faculty member. I teach a course that is cross-listed in political science and criminal justice and the title is the same so it is just listed by title instead of course number. The students are alerted to look for their professor's name and then the course.

Courses Image
In reply to Sam Fisher

by Robert Brenstein -
This may work in some situations. Unfortunately, we have a number of courses taught by multiple instructors (up to 6) and some instructors offer courses with the same title but each is meant for a different study program.

by Robert Brenstein -
Well, it took a sleepless night but I managed to develop a hack which allows me to list any course in multiple categories without any further tricks. It requires modifications in several Moodle files as well as entering category-course cross-reference data directly into the database.

If there is enough interest, I will put together instructions how to implement this hack. It is actually fairly straightfoward and piggy-backs onto the standard category system, so it is possible to switch between them at any time.

by Kunal Kapoor -
I would be very interested in this hack of yours. Are your modifications based on the latest version of Moodle?
In reply to Kunal Kapoor

by Robert Brenstein -
I implemented this in 1.5.2+

I will clean up the instructions and post next week.

by Timothy Takemoto -
I am interested in this hack too. I am not sure I would use it but there is an outside chance I could get someone to integrate it with moodle.

I have realised the joys of groups and am using groups for multiple classes accessing the same content but one important missing function is the ability to have courses (and their groups) in multiple categories.

Tim
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Robert Brenstein -
You don't need to be a programmer to install this hack I think. The only thing missing is a proper (web-based) interface to define multiple categories. Entering data directly into the database becomes "boring" (as it tedious) for more than hundred courses. I will add such an interface as time permits.

by Nikki Macfarlane -
I would like to be able to use this as well Robert. I want to be able to show the same course in several different categories which it sounds like you have managed to achieve. Looking forward to seeing how it is done!

Nikki Macfarlane
In reply to Nikki Macfarlane

by A. T. Wyatt -
You get another vote from me!  We need this!smile
Thanks,
atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Robert Brenstein -
It's coming, guys smile

I am trying to program web-based interface to assign courses to multiple categories yet. I assigned them working directly in the database but this became a problem even here because other admins can't change these. I also want to check about including this info in course backups/restores, although I think this will require some real Moodle programmer to step in.

The good news is that the hack is now 2 weeks in (heavy) use and works flawlessly for end users.

by Timothy Takemoto -

Looking forward to it. I do hope it is integrated into the mainstream.
Tim

by Timothy Takemoto -
I requested a quote today asking about the possibility of dummy courses (a new course type perhaps) that would be doors to other courses from a different place in the course heirarchy. This would go towards allowing groups to be used as classes.

by Robert Brenstein -
My hack does not involve dummy courses. It is a proper database-based solution using an extra table to cross-reference courses and categories. I think it could be implemented into Moodle properly at some point but that is not my call. First it has to be field tested by you guys.

I have already figured out how to do web-based assignment of courses to multiple categories. I mean the user interface. I just need to code and test it. I am, however, still in the process of figuring out how to handle custom sorting that Moodle supports for individual categories. I think the original algorithm can be scaled to multiple categories but I first need to prove this to myself before I code this part. My original hack allows only alphabetical sorting.

by Daniel Morphett -
Dear Robert

My client has a requirement for a course to belong to multiple categories, so I am very interested in your solution. Can I please get a hold of it? If it is lacking a web interface at present, that is not necessarily an insurmountable problem, although if it comes with, all the better. But I may code one myself if necessary, and contribute it back.

Regards
In reply to Daniel Morphett

by Ghassan Geara -

hi Robert,

Is ur hack regarding the requirement for a course to belong to multiple categories ready? Where can we find it for download?

We'd like to have this option for our categories.

Thx for any update.

Regards

In reply to Ghassan Geara

by Robert Brenstein -
Somebody is currently testing this hack without web interface, and I am struggling to wrap up a version with web interface. The latter turned out to be a lot more problematic than I anticipated because crucial Moodle code is assuming that all course data is in a single table. But I am making progress. I will post the hack without web interface as soon as I get feedback from the tester.

by Kevin Wilcoxon -
Go Robert!  This is an important issue for many of us.  Bless you.

Kevin Wilcoxon
In reply to Kevin Wilcoxon

by Luke Pollard -

Hello Moodlers!

How do I allow courses to exsist in two seperate categories. I have some courses for my students in my student ProShop, and some for instructors in the Instructor WebStore, but some need to exsist in both.

Many Thanks

LP

In reply to Luke Pollard

by A. T. Wyatt -
Robert Brenstein is working on this!  You might contact him directly for more information.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Robert Brenstein -
I guess it is time for status update. I am mostly but not completely done with the new code for this feature (we are talking Moodle 1.5.3+), but the remaining coding is in the peripheral albeit still important areas, like backup and restore. I am currently using this code on a production site with over 2000 users, having 215 courses listed 609 times in 99 categories. The functionality is currently available for testing and experimenting with on a demo site. Anyone who wants to help with that (operation as well as usability) should contact me directly. Since this hack affects core operation of Moodle, including modifications of main Moodle libraries, I want it to be fairly thoroughly tested before letting others install it on their sites.

by David Evans -

As usual, the effects of advancing age is preventing me from determining how to assign courses to multple catagories. I gather from the last update that it was completed for 1.6, however I am running 1.7 and cannot locate the function to do so. I have also searched the documentation to no avail, can someone through me a clue?

Thanks

Dave

In reply to David Evans

by Emily Parker -

Has anyone made any progress with this issue? I am running the lastest release and cannot find a way to assign a course to multiple categories.

Thanks,

Emily

In reply to Emily Parker

by Jez H -
I assume there is still no solution to this? I am using 1.9 and still cannot see a way to do this.
In reply to Jez H

by Birgit May -
Some news on this issue? Somebody found a solution?
In reply to Birgit May

by Robert Brenstein -
I gather I should post an update. We have been using this feature ever since I implemented it in Moodle 1.5 and it has been working just dandy for us. It was mostly ported to 1.6. Unfortunately, Moodle development accelerated about that time, with each major version bringing major changes to Moodle core.

The thing is that proper implementation of this feature requires significant changes to quite a few core files as well as Moodle database. In other words, it is a major, major hack which is far from trivial to move between Moodle versions. There are even problems within a single major version, like going from 1.6.1 to 1.6.7, since some of those core files some times undergo significant revisions in the code critical to this hack.

Martin expressed interest to bring this feature into core at some point, but there was no actual action to give me a hook. It is really unfortunate that Moodle core developers don't see an importance of this feature, but then, it is true that we who need it seem to be really a small minority.

Having said that, there may be some hope. We are getting slowly ready to move on to a newer Moodle, most likely Moodle 1.9, so I may be porting this hack to that version. There is no timeline for this yet, but I may start working some time after new year. I can't promise anything soon since this is an extracurricular activity for me (as in not getting paid for doing that).

by Robert Brenstein -
There is now a request in Moodle Tracker, MDL-17533, asking to provide necessary core changes to eventually add listing course in multiple categories. Vote or watch if you care.

single course assign to Multiple Category in Moodle 2.8.3 ?

by Kathir Rajaraman -

Hi

Requirement is there should be same course in multiple categories where updation in one course effects all the other categories. Duplication of course doesn't do updation to other courses. Is there any way to acheive this.

Moodle version we use is 2.8.3

Thanks

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by ajith kumar -
Guys,
I am new to moodle
I am stuck with this issue....pls tell me if it is possible to list a course under multiple categoies using Moodle 1.9 version. If yes,pls give me a detailed solution as soon as possible

Regards,
Ajith

by Richard Ingalls -
I have used categories, metacourses and child courses this way for my corporate LMS:

I set up very broad categories, such as "Leadership", "Nursing/Clinical", "Clerical/Office", "Support Services", "Health Information Management / Medical Records", "Clinics", "Financial", "Technology Training".

Next, I create "Tracks" of learning within each category. A "track" is just a normal course students enroll in. Students enroll in a "track" course which is the "child" course for one or many other metacourses.

The "real" courses are actually metacourses which take their enrollment from the "track" course. Since metacourses can take their enrollments from many child courses, each of my categories can have "tracks" which share metacourses in common.

Does that make any sense to you? I hope that seems useful/helpful. Here is a link to a PDF I created (hand drawn) to help diagram the concept a little better.
In reply to Richard Ingalls

by Birgit May -
Hello Richard,

i really tried to understand your comment and read the .pdf but didn't really get your solution ...

by Joshua De la Vega -

Hi Richard,

Same here, I have not been able to figure out how you accomplished to use metacourses and display them in a multiple category type schema. 

Has anybody else found a solution to this?  I was thinking of cross-referencing a custom table in the database, but am faced with importing the functionality into the Moodle UI.  Would not want to go in deeper because as previously noted it might get messy.

Anyone have any ideas?

In reply to Joshua De la Vega

Ynt: Re: listing a course in multiple categories

by Kemal Can -
Hi all,

i read the solution in Usin Moodle 1,9 book by packtpup.com

so about the commercial rules, i cant share the all solitions but i can give a hint you can do this with javascipt codes and you can find in freejavascripts.com

take it easy

Best Regards
In reply to Kemal Can

Re: Ynt: Re: listing a course in multiple categories

by Joshua De la Vega -

Hi Kemal,

I don't quite understand your response.  I tried packtpup.com but cannot get that site to open.  You mention adding a course to multiple categories can be done through javascript??  If you could lead us in the right direction on how to implement this with Moodle, it would be much appreciated.

Currently using 1.9 and have not found a way of doing this other than creating an external program that would cross-reference courseID's with categoryID's.  Problem is, merging the functionality into the Moodle UI because of roles being involved.

I'm looking for a feasible way of doing this without breaking the Moodle code but accomodating my own... Richard had an interesting idea, but do not quite understand it...

I've seen this feature being asked for by several people in various posts now and it's even in the tracker, but I guess it is still not in the roadmap. 

by Robert Donovan -
Let me see if I understand your method properly.

I start by creating course categories which you refer to as tracks. What you call the tracks shouldn't matter too much. I then populate the tracks with regular courses for whatever subjects are being taught. Once this course pool, to use your terminology, has been created, I create metacourses, and populate them with the regular courses. Each metacourse can refer to multiple courses in multiple categories.

How close am I?

RD
In reply to Robert Donovan

Ynt: Re: listing a course in multiple categories

by Kemal Can -
ah sorry right web site address is http://www.packtpub.com/

Using moodle 1,9 books name. you can find the information in this book.

i done it with "java script" i learnt in book.

take it easy..
In reply to Kemal Can

by niranjan reddy -
Can you please tell us how you did with the help of "Javascript".It is very help full to us. I checked the books but i did't find any thing.

With Regards,
Reddy C.V.N
In reply to niranjan reddy

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I think the solution referred to is a workaround in Wm Rice's book Moodle 1.9 E-Learning course development where he basically suggests you make a blank course in another category and in the topic 0 summary of that course you enter some javascript to redirect you to another course - within the javascript you enter the URL of the "real course" that is in a different category. I suggest you do an internet search for redirection scripts as there must be plenty around.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by niranjan reddy -
Thank You for your quick reply... As time is less for me I done with the help of the new table and some backend coding in the lib.php file. I will start RND on the javascript.

by Khaled Kamel -

Has anyone found a good straight forward non techie solution for this badly needed logical requirement?