RFC Timed forum post ordering

RFC Timed forum post ordering

by Adam Olley -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi all,

Posting this here rather than the developer forum as I imagine it'll get more eyes from people that use Forum.

This is a question for people that use the timed forum discussions feature in Moodle. For those that don't know, the feature lets you set a discussion as only visible between 2 specific points in time - this part of the feature works just fine.

This tracker item: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-50993, raises the point that the ordering, to a casual student viewing the list of discussions, might be confusing.

Example with current ordering:

Teacher makes a discussion on 1st of Jan set to be visible from February.

All through Jan, people make new discussions in the forum.

Come Feb, the timed discussion becomes visible, but rather than it appear at the top of the list of discussions when viewing the forum, its buried under all the other discussions that got made between the teacher first making it, and its release time.

The proposed changes in MDL-50993 would have the ordering take the timed discussions start-time into account when ordering it. With 50993 applied, the timed discussion would be on the top of the list of discussions come February in the above example (that is until someone makes a post in another discussion after it was released naturally).

It'd be good to get a consensus from the community in general if they think this is the right way to go here or not?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adam Olley

Re: RFC Timed forum post ordering

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Seems like a good suggestion to me. The post should be at the top of the forum when it first appears to students.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Adam Olley -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

That's what makes sense to me too - and how the sorting in the patch will display it.

Tangentially related - but may as well be brought up here as well rather than another discussion, I've also got a patch (with screenshots this time) for https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-9070 to make it clear to teachers (or users with the needed cap) viewing a forum that discussions aren't visible to everyone.

I've opted for the calendar icon there as thats the icon you see to pick a date/time when first setting the time window (and there wasn't really a clock icon to choose from in Moodle :P).

In reply to Adam Olley

by Zoe Bogner -

The proposed change sounds like expected behaviour to me.
I usually see discussion scheduling used to prepare weekly posts in advance (like a question related to the topic of the week), normally done all at once at the start of the teaching period. The intention being that these discussions will be displayed just as if they were made the 'normal' way, appearing at their scheduled time as the the newest post at the top of the list.

I can't think of an example that I've seen which relies on the current behaviour and would be broken by the change.