Forum log not showing discussion addition for specific students

Forum log not showing discussion addition for specific students

by Cheryl Rodriguez -
Number of replies: 0

This one is weird,

I have an instructor who has a specific way of implementing groups at the beginning of a course.  She allows students to first pick their group based on what they feel is their "level" of competency, She then moves those students as they progress in the course from one group to the other so that they are in "peer" groups based on their actual abilities so they don't get frustrated.  At the beginning of the semester it is sometimes difficult to nail down just which group a student belongs in so she will straddle several students in different groups assigning them to the one she believes they belong in and again in one that the student believes they belong in--thus students can be in more than one group.

The problem:

Three of her students are in more than one group

These three students added a discussion to one of the forums and did not select the group at the top that they wanted to post in (just left it at the default).

When the instructor went to grade the students she went to the Log for that forum, and searched for "created".  To her surprise those three students did not show up, indeed they had created a discussion because she had actually responded to one of them (which caused the investigation).

I went to the database to see if the forum discussion post was actually there and noticed that it was assigned to a 0 context?  Curious I went back to the classroom to look at the course logs and found that the students indeed had posted but they were under a "Other" heading instead of the actual Forum Heading.  Then I looked at the other two students who had the same groups, and they both had the same issue.  Now--additional posts to the same forum were saved under the forum name, just not the original "created" discussion.

Attached is a snip of that log showing the issue, at this time it seems to only happen in the forum.

We have moved the students into a single group for now, but would really like to determine the cause.  Any Ideas?

We are using Moodle 2.8.6+ (Build: 20150618) / Debian Linux distro

Cheryl Rodriguez/LMS Admin

Attachment ForumMystery.JPG
Average of ratings: -