No more blocks on profile pages

No more blocks on profile pages

by John Okely -
Number of replies: 2

The ability for users to add blocks to their own profiles has been unavailable for the past few versions, due to what was previously a bug. But now the removal of the ability completely is up for discussion. Because it has been unavailable since 2.4 and there were no bug reports or attention outside of us at HQ it seems like it would be safe to remove the feature.

Does anyone know a use case for the feature, or a reason to keep it? If so we can fix the bug making it unavailable.

For more info, feel free to read issue to remove the feature MDL-51067, or the issue to fix the bug MDL-37736 (closed but can be reopened later)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Okely

Re: No more blocks on profile pages

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello John. Just to clarify - in your title you say 'No more blocks on profile pages'  - am I right in thinking you mean that regular users won't be able to add blocks to their profile pages anymore (but profile pages themselves can still have  blocks, added by the admin from Appearance > Default  profile page)? I've seen that this feature has been broken for several years, and certainly I haven't seen people lining up to complain about not being able to add blocks to their profile page, so I don't think it will be missed. But let's see what others think, who might have some reasons for allowing blocks.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: No more blocks on profile pages

by John Okely -

Excellent catch with the title, that's a good question. I guess there are still blocks an admin might want to add to everyone's profiles.

For now I'd say this issue is just about preventing users with no manage blocks capaibility from adding blocks to their own profiles. Which because of the bug is really just removing the misleading error message "There are no blocks that you can add to this page"

Thanks for the input!